a plug for black australorp roosters

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bj taylor, Feb 3, 2013.

1. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    hi chicken people;
    i just wanted to input how much i appreciate my black australorp rooster. for anyone trying to decide a breed choice, i can't recommend them enough.
    i had three, gave two away. i get good reports on the other two. mine is huge. he's very attentive to the girls, isn't too rough. he's very protective & has engaged a hawk once in defense of one of his girls.
    he's always been standoffish from the beginning. i haven't tried to change that. he's about a year old now. he has not once offered aggression to me or hubby. he watches the cats, but doesn't mess with them. he's careful around the two german shepherds but no problems.
    i'm looking forward to at least one of my four girls to go broody this spring & bring me some more babies.
    my flock is too small (four girls & charlie). i have one each of buff orp, barred rock, silver laced wyandotte, and a black aust, plus charlie.
    if i had to do it over again, my breed choice would remain the same.

2. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    we never had a mean one.

3. Clovis

Clovis Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2013
    Thank you for the input on the Austrolrps. They are a kind we have been considering and so far have heard no real negative info about them.

4. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    they lay good. they are healthy and vigorous.

5. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    I have 5 chickens, (19 months old), 4 Dominiques and 1 Black Austrolorp. The BA's are beautiful chickens. She is bigger than the Doms and she lays huge eggs. She is very friendly, but she can also be shy at times. Most of the time she is quiet and layed back , but when she doesn't get her certain nest box she will let EVERYBODY know that she isn't getting what she wants. When it is time to get more chickens I will definately be getting Black Austrolorps again.

6. RoseMarie1

RoseMarie1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2013
    Hattiesburg,Ms.
    My Coop
    hmmmmm this changed my mind on my BA's. Was only thinking about keeping 1 BA roo and 2 RIR roos but I might do the opposite. ;-)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by