A Plymouth Rock Chicken Question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by blue_egg_lover, Feb 10, 2011.

1. blue_egg_lover

blue_egg_lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2011
    I'm a new and a bit confused. I was talking to the local feed company today who told me Barred Rocks were one of the best brown egg layers. When I asked about the Buff Rocks and Partridge they said Barred is the best but the others were still good. Aren't they the same breed just a different color so wouldn't they all be the just as good as the other?

2. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Not necessarily - depending on the popularity of the breed variety, more specialized breeding may have taken place over the years with some varieties but not the others. For instance, although Brown and Buff Leghorns are good layers, I don't think they quite match the outstanding laying ability of the White Leghorn. Likewise, my parents have Barred Rocks and White Rocks - ordered from the same hatchery - and the Barred Rocks are the better layers. I have friends who have Partridge Rocks, but I don't know how they compare layer-wise with the other varieties of Plymouth Rock. Others may have different experiences and can give you more information.

3. pkw

pkw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA
    I have partridge rocks and they have been laying nearly everyday. I don't really care for the barred rocks but my partridge rocks are so sweet.

4. Country Parson

Country Parson Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Bellefontaine, OH
    My 2 Barred Rocks consistently do better than my 2 White Rocks.

5. MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    Colorado Plains
    Quote:====
    My black australors have laid consistently during this horrible winter. I recommend them for your brown egg layers. Plus they are dual purpose.

6. blue_egg_lover

blue_egg_lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2011
    Well thank you for all the different opinions. You all gave me something to think about. I ordered barred and partridge so I guess I'll find out for myself lol [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by