A Polish with other breeds ok?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Ojai Doll, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Ojai Doll

Ojai Doll New Egg

Mar 28, 2014
    I have 5 chickens all born the same day (5/21/14), all different breeds. I know the Polish chickens are at a disadvantage due to their "hair dos" and often are at the bottom of the pecking order. My Polish has been brutally pecked at to the point virtually all her feathers are gone, part of her bare head looks bruised and there are some blood spots where she was pecked. This has been mostly within the past 3 months but really bad the past two weeks since it's been really cold here in Ojai, CA (by cold I mean high 20's). I've seen her getting picked on and sometimes she pecks back, it's not constant, and not all of the chickens are bullies. First of all, what can I do to help her head heal, and should I separate her from the others, and if so would it be like that forever for her? Thanks for any input. I'm new at chickens, but loving every day of it.

2. LipsChicks

LipsChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2014
    North Dakota
    I really hate to isolate a chicken but of course I do when I have to. It's sometimes tough to then integrate it back into the flock. My Polish chickens, both hens and roosters get pecked on the top of their heads giving them a frier tuck look. (sp). I initially made a paste with desiden, black food coloring, neosporin, and tea tree oil. I smear this on the pecked spots. I then bought a product called Pick NoMore. The advantage of this is the applicator. My home made stuff stains my fingers. I can't say that the commercial stuff did any better than the home made. I have to put it on quite often but it helps some. Mine also peck more in the cold weather but cold here in minus 20. I give them a flock block in the coop and toss in a couple of cabbages to give them something to do. I also toss treats into the bedding so they have something to peck and scratch. Even in thei extreme weather- I LOVE my chickens !!

3. Ojai Doll

Ojai Doll New Egg

Mar 28, 2014
    Whew, I'm thankful it doesn't get to minus anything here. That said given your input about the cold, I think I'll give it a week or so to see how they're doing. Our cold snap is over for now, it seldom gets below freezing here. The girls have plenty of things to peck on/at, they have a palace to live in! I too LOVE my chickens and am wondering what took me so long.

4. LipsChicks

LipsChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2014
    North Dakota
    My husband is what took ME so long. He always said he hates chickens and didn't want any here. Well, I bought some chicks and he saw how much joy they bring to me. He went so far as buying me a new storage shed for a coop!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by