1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A poopy topic...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Elly, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Elly

Elly Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2008
    I let my five girls free range for the better part of the day and they spend a lot of time in the horse pasture scratching and going crazy looking for bugs in the horse poop. I live in Southern Ont. and we have had several frost already so the bug count in these piles are next to nothing, yet the hens are stuffing their beaks....as far as I can tell with straight poop:eek:....is this noraml:confused:

2. FLOWERPOT

FLOWERPOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I dont know
    I just thought it is pretty funny [​IMG]
    Probably not for you though huh, Sorry

3. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    They are not just looking for bugs. They are recycling the undigested seeds from hay. It's been going on since people first put horses/cows and chickens in the same place thousands of years ago. Not to worry.

4. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    hello elly....where in southern ontario are you?...I know my gals are still finding lots of bugs here in Guelph

5. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Chickens will also eat undigested seeds, grain,etc, out of manure-- perhaps that's what they're finding and they just aren't particular if they get other "debris" along with their oats!

6. Elly

Elly Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2008
    I live west of Brantford...I guess there are a few bugs out here still, but it seems like they are getting more poop then bugs/grain:eek:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by