A Portable Coop Just Got More Portable!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by drewva, Sep 21, 2010.

1. drewva

drewva Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2009
    Sonoma
    A friend just added a big wheel to her already portable coop from http://HandcraftedCoops.com
    This is one handy chicken coop... hell, I could drive that thing to work now!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    Great idea. Much better than the smaller wheels and I bet it rolls better in the grass.

3. gingernutranger

gingernutranger Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2007
    VERY COOL. I wish I could buy some of those now but dont have any birds that could go in them. Maybe some for started birds.

4. lazyoranch

lazyoranch Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    Pleasant Hill
    What kind of bracing is the wheel attached to?

5. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    I have a similar coop with smaller wheels. I have no problem moving it on grass. I can't imagine how inconvenient it must have been to not have wheels. It would take two people to move it without wheels.

6. ZombieChickens

ZombieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

If you drive it to work, please post pics. [​IMG]

7. mcostas

mcostas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    Is it awkward to move? It looks like you would bang your shin when you started to walk. Sometimes it's hard to guage a chicken tractor w/o a person standing next to it.

I put big casters on mine, it actually sits on them. In one way it's nice cause it can be pushed sideways if someone lifts up on one end. But the wheels can get stuck if it's wet out and you change direction cause the casters turn.

I figured putting the wheels below the coup instead of off the back would function as a fulcrum and make it lighter, it's still pretty heavy though. Or I'm just not as young as I used to be. I'm putting up a kennel run next week. We have the frame together now but are trying to decide the best spot for it.

I'm going to use my chicken tractor pen to introduce new flock members.

8. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    Mine is easier to pull than to push.

Quote:

9. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    If the handles on the end away from the wheel was longer it would even be easier to move. They seem kind of short but they are very visually appealing.

I need a big wheel like that!
    Caroline

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by