A Pox on Mine House

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by MissPrissy, Dec 9, 2008.

1. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Oh, people, we are sick.

Sick, I say!

On top of the worst head and chest colds of the year - possibly my lifetime - I have sick children.

Yesterday was a mad dash to the school to get my DD straight to the DR's office for an asthma attack and other unrelated issues.

Strep throat.

Which meant an hour wait at the pharmacy for the meds to be filled and a rush hour crawl pace driving back home.

For those of you I owe handmade goods this week - I must apologize - they won't be ready until next week.

My ear infection has me where I can't sit and sew. The hum of the machine makes me wince in pain from the sound.

I HATE medications but am very thankful they are around when all else fails - especially for my children.

So - tell me - what's your best home remedy and homeopathic solutions for these wintery plagues and poxes on your family?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'm so sorry your whole family is ill, Angie! The only thing I can tell you as a remedy is a couple tablespoons of organic, unfiltered ACV in a cup of hot water, add honey for sweetening. That was told to me by a pal and it seemed to help my DH when he was ill.
    Hope this all passes quickly! [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  3. LittleYellowOne

LittleYellowOne Chillin' With My Peeps

My mom has one remedy that she practices on all us children, that she got from her grandmother...

A sip of brandy~ [​IMG]

I don't know if it actually helps or if it's all psychological, but it warms you up and makes you feel at least a little bit better.

And when all else fails, a reeeeally hot shower can help clear your head for awhile.

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I got a box of those shower vapor things - they aren't too bad. I wish my baby vapor bath soap was cured! I want to use it.

I did that this morning, Cyn. ACV is the cureall. LOL

5. Buster

Buster Back to Work

So sorry to hear that you and your family are sick. Wishing you and yours a speedy recovery. My fam got strep last spring and so did most of the guys I worked with. It was horrible.

6. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    I say a hot wood stove, a good blanket and sleep till you feel better. I know that is not always possible, but Grandma always said when you are sick, your body needs to rest to fight what off the germs.

7. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Hope you all get to feeling better soon, Angie! [​IMG]

We like Rosehip tea when we're feeling puny, lots of Vitamin C.

Dawn

P.S Had an uncle and his girlfriend come up from GA for Thanksgiving. My grandmother begged and pleaded for us to come visit with them. We would have but they came up here, both sick...he had pneumonia and the girlfriend had a cold. [​IMG] We avoided them like the plague!!! [​IMG]

8. blueskylen

blueskylen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    WV
    sorry to hear that you are all so sick! my dh has also been ill, but is getting better. I don't seem to pick up many colds/flu since I have been drinking EmergenC each morning - it have lots of vitamin c and other minerals.

in the new Mother Earth news there was a recipe that is supposed to stop a cold in its tracks.
    just a mashed garlic clove steeped in hot water for a few minutes, add your favorite sweetener and drink a couple of times a day just as your cold is starting - then eat the garlic at the bottom.
    they say it really doesn't taste bad, and no more smell than a garlicy dinner. it may do the trick.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  9. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Dang it! I'm sorry to hear you are so sick!! Looks like some good advice has already been given. I swear by Zicam. I start using it as soon as I feel the beginnings of any cold. Other than that, I can only offer [​IMG] . I hope your family is better fast!

10. Gloria

Gloria Chillin' With My Peeps

Hope ya'll feel better soon Miss P.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by