A predator got into our coop the other night....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by totribet, Aug 26, 2011.

1. totribet

totribet Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    Moriarty, NM
    and slaughtered all my chicks. I have 2 left about 6 weeks old. One of them has something wrong with her leg now. She will put it down sometimes, but keeps it pulled up mostly. Any home remedy tricks that I can try?[​IMG]

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

So sorry [​IMG] We would need to know more information on your chicks leg. Like can she use that leg at all? Is is swollen? Is it bleeding? Maybe we can help you! [​IMG]

3. totribet

Jul 24, 2011
    Moriarty, NM
    It doesn't appear to be swollen or bleeding. I was out of town due to my best friend's 20 yr old daughter dying and I just got back.....let me see if I can get a picture of it.

4. totribet

Jul 24, 2011
    Moriarty, NM
    Okay....I went out to take a picture and she is walking on it now. She limps occasionally, but seems mostly normal. Looks like it might turn out all right.

5. crayon

crayon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Hillman Michigan
    Just wanted to say I am sorry..... A hawk came down and got one of my babies the other day- I found the hawk in the baby coop (we taken the top off for the day- the first day ever!) Anyway- I feel your pain.

We did lose one to the dog when we first got chickens and we got another batch from a hatchery- it made everyone feel much better. So you may want to look at who has good stock right now. We got ours from Meyer Hatchery in Ohio- Honestly- I would just do a straight run, as ours were very mixed even tho we ordered sexed.

Sorry..... :-(

6. totribet

Jul 24, 2011
    Moriarty, NM
    Thanks ...... its just been a rough week all the way around

7. SuziQ991

SuziQ991 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Missouri
    I'm so sorry to hear about your friend's daughter.

8. ChickensXOXO

ChickensXOXO Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    The Carolinas
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by