A pretty awful looking eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CynthiaMQ, Feb 18, 2011.

1. CynthiaMQ

CynthiaMQ Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2010
    Grindrod, B.C.
    Got a 16 week old pullet that has a very odd looking eyeball. The other eye is perfect. Speaking of perfect. That pullet is healthy, eating, drinking, pooping, absolutely no signs of illness. The only one displaying this very horrible looking eye amongst 20 others of her age. She began about a week ago with the eye seemingly becoming "pushed" towards the right side of the eyeball cavity. I had to go away for almost a week and hoped that she would be OK. She seems OK.

The only thing wrong with this little gal is this most horribly deviated eye. Still eating well, etc. I do not suspect a disease, but then really, just do not know. I have put colloidal silver drops in her eye yesterday, hoping that something may be in it and it requires to be washed out. There appears to be yellow fibrous material on the left side of her eye, I am hoping this is not the insides of her brain or something awful like that.

If you do not know what this is, please do not respond to this post and I prefer not to have either for sympthy posts. If you do know what this is, I would appreciate your input on your experience with what this may be. I am of course, suspecting the worse -- that it is a form of Marek's disease and the pullet will have to be put down. This is the first time poultry has been raised on this farm, since the middle of June, but that disease may have come from anywhere where I may have travelled over the past few months. But for now, still a healthy little girl with a bad eyeball. Have a wonderful day, CynthiaMQ.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    editted.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  3. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    She either has some wood chips in her eye or you have coryza in the flock. If you can remove the debris you will either find a shaving or icky cottage cheese which mean coryza.

4. jennifersmith326

jennifersmith326 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Griffin, GA
    Does it look like something is in her eye? I can't tell if it is infection or something is in there.

5. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I'd gently wipe the eye to remove the gunk from it. Then you can better assess the situation. Using something soft like saline solution and a cotton ball. I wouldn't put anything in it until you get a better look at it. Hard to tell, but looks like the nictitating membrane (also known as the third eyelid) is swollen.

6. CynthiaMQ

Nov 17, 2010
    Grindrod, B.C.
    Thank you for the replies, I am awaiting further information from forum people. I am thinking that perhaps she may have something in the eye.

Please note. I will say again. There is absolutely no illness in any of the birds that I have.

This bird is 100% healthy. She does not have any symptoms of coryza. Please look at this site to further understand what coryza appears as: http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/page22.htm

Again
    , the pullet in question is eating, drinking, pooping, sleeping, preening, everything that is normal in every day life. No discharge of any sort anywhere, particularly in the nostrils or anything that indicates illness.

I cleaned the eye yesterday and will further examine the eye today. I have been drenching the eye with colloidal silver water. This is not anything that would ever cause detriment to the bird. Basically, this water is distilled water with silver ions in it, used in hospitals and many things, particularly for killing bacteria and healing of burn patients, when so many other natural remedies don't work.

I am going to clean her eye again using the water, which will kill any bacteria present. It is better than saline water. I will delve deeply to see. I will await others' comments. Have that wonderful day, CynthiaMQ.

eta: healing of burn patients -- not: killing bacteria and burn patients, smiling, funny how the English language must be precise in what you say. --

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I tried researching this on a couple of chicken disease charts and even the Merck veterinary manual. Got nowhere. I hope you let us know if you ever figure it out.

8. CynthiaMQ

Nov 17, 2010
    Grindrod, B.C.
    That is why I don't think it is a disease. It is too windy to even go outside right yet, but still on my agenda to flush the eye again.

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    What first occurred to me when I opened this thread was tumor -- but I also couldn't find a description of a tumor or neoplasm that matched. I guess you can get tumors anywhere. Hopefully it's infection, or foreign body with infection, and the silver will do the trick.

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    it almost makes me think it's a piece of bedding stuck in there. hard to say for sure though.. hope you can get it out before it does cause infection.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by