1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A pretty sick hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ian Patterson, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Ian Patterson

Ian Patterson New Egg

Aug 27, 2013
    I have a white laying hen that is part of a flock and over the last week it has developed the following symptoms:

Stopped laying (not sure how long ago)
    Droopy comb but still red
    listless
    Dropped wings and head
    dirty bum
    Clear eyes

I isolated it a couple of days ago with its own water and food and it seems to be eating and drinking
    and was kind of looking a bit more interested so i thought it was on the mend. I actually wormed it
    as well during this time.
    I let it out yesterday and it seemed to have perked up a bit but as the day progressed today
    it seemed to deteriorate. I just picked it up to put it back in the sick room and it discharged
    yellow fluid from its beek probably about 1/2 a cup.

Any suggestions other than the chop?

Cheers

Ian
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    The vomiting could mean that the dying process has started. If she makes it through the night, it's probably something else. Just keep her warm.

-Kathy

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  4. Ian Patterson

Ian Patterson New Egg

Aug 27, 2013
    Many thanks to you all but she passed away last night, They say when you have live stock you always
    get dead stock, how true as our girls faid away just from old age generally.
    Just for future is there a tonic that will help if you have a hen that is looking poorly you know like a
    panadol or something. I dont get many sick ones but feel a bit helpless when i do.

Thanks againg for your help

Patto

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Sorry for you loss. {{{{{{hugs}}}}}

-Kathy

6. BigECarter

BigECarter Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2012
    Mississippi Gulf Coast

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by