A Pricey yet Perfect Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by A HappyHenLover, Sep 27, 2013.

1. A HappyHenLover

A HappyHenLover Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2013
    SE Wisconsin
    In your own opinion, what is your ideal coop, if it is not the one you currently have then what are your ideas of a perfect coop?
    Also, what could be the most expensive chicken house that someone could built/buy. I'm just curious to see what people come up with.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  2. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas

When I was a kid my grandparents had what I thought was the perfect chicken coop. It was a building made out of cinder blocks, so it was very strong. The inside of the building was divided with a wall, and there was a door. Each side was about 10 feet by 10 feet. Then there was a big run that was also divided with chicken wire. Each run was about 10 feet by 20 feet. That allowed enough space for 20 chickens on each side.

I thought it was perfect because the chickens could be moved from one side to the other so that they got fresh run area, or to allow one side to be cleaned. It also allowed a chicken to be moved away from the other chickens, for whatever reason. Or it would be a good way to integrate new chickens. The chickens would be able to look at each other in the run and get used to each other before being put together. One side also opened to a pasture area to allow chickens to free range.

I think this would be a perfect coop for anyone who wanted to have 20 or fewer chickens. And most people do not want more chickens than that.

"what could be the most expensive chicken house that someone could built/buy"?

The sky is the limit on this. You could build the Taj Mahal and use it as a chicken coop. That would not be a sane thing to do, but it could be done.

I am not sure what you are getting at with this question.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  3. Calomel

Calomel Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2012
    Omaha, Nebraska
    If I could change things up (and if my husband would EVER allow it), I'd build the coop about four times the size it is now and the run eight times the size. Can never have too much space for happy birds! I think I'd prefer one I could walk into as well, just for the sake of easier cleaning and maintenance.

I'm not sure what you're wanting in terms of information on most expensive. Are you wanting to buy a very expensive coop? Not sure why you would want to overspend for the sake of overspending.

4. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas

I have to ask because you didn't give any context. "I'd build the coop about four times the size it is now and the run eight times the size."

That doesn't make sense to us out here in Internet land if you do not tell us how big your coop and run are now. :)

5. Calomel

Calomel Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2012
    Omaha, Nebraska
    We used the Garden Coop plans, so the henhouse is about 3x6 and the run 9x6...ish. The ground is sloped and we made some small adjustments for materials, but that's the rough dimensions. The slope in the ground makes getting into the henhouse to clean a bit of a chore, which was something I didn't anticipate when we were building. Live and learn!

6. heidisue

heidisue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Marana, Arizona
    Honestly I love mine so I wouldn't change anything... Yet. I may have something eventually! I spent forever designing it though and then had some huge help. The biggest thing is to think of your day. How do you want to feed, water, get eggs, and clean? Design around that.

In my case, auto feeders have been awesome, the water system keeps it clean and simple, ventilation panels make cleaning the coop simple, sand in the run makes cleaning that quick, the egg box makes collecting easy, lots of shade and ventilation for the Arizona weather with lots of protected areas from our winds.

I also don't quite understand the most expensive question... If you really wanted to you could easily spend thousands, or more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by