A Pullet Pulled One Over On Me! Or was it a roo?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mcleveland, Mar 9, 2012.

1. mcleveland

mcleveland Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2012
    Northeast Georgia
    Be forewarned this is a little gross.

I went out to the coop for afternoon rounds and to take my chickens some food "scraps". While they were all out of the coop, I closed the pop door so I could clean up a little inside the coop without having to worry about them getting out (I normally don't let them free range until around 5-ish in the evening before the sun goes down), check their water/food, etc. As soon as I walked in the door I got a little "egg-cited" (ha!) thinking one of my girls had just laid an egg. But the "egg" was on the floor underneath the nesting boxes. Not exactly good aim, I thought. I walked over to retrieve this egg and the closer I got to it, I thought this is a peculiar looking egg. I've read on here that other member's pullets first egg is sometimes not what you'd expect to see (soft shelled, no shell, etc). When I got close enough to see it, this egg looked to be about medium sized, if I had to guess, but was a little elongated. It also had some of the shavings stuck to it around the sides and bottom. But then I realized this didn't look like an egg at all, once I got close enough to see. It looked like a white mass of something. I got a stick to touch it with and this mass was very soft, the stick went inside it. Then....OH the Smell!!!! [​IMG] I think it was poo?? I have never seen chicken poo this big before! Not even from my grandparents chickens. Looks to be as big as a golf ball (if the golf ball was oval). Why would there be such huge poo? Or could it be something else? And if it is poo, why all white? TIA!

For those of you brave enough, here is a link to the photo I took with my phone (a little fuzzy):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mclev34/6967523709/in/photostream

2. AnimalLady123

AnimalLady123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    At the computer
    Oh I know how you feel!! I have had my very favorite chicken poop on my LAP!!!! [​IMG]

3. mcleveland

Mar 6, 2012
    Northeast Georgia
    [​IMG] is right! LOL!

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Are any of your hens broody? "Broody Poo" is well known for it's size and fou nature.

5. mcleveland

Mar 6, 2012
    Northeast Georgia
    I wouldn't think so. They are still pretty young... 17 & 18 weeks. I showed it to hubby when he got home from work. I said, "Look at that." He asked was it one of those Egg Farts. LOL! [​IMG] (I explained to him the other day what an egg fart is after I read about it on this forum) I said, Well of course not! Can't you tell poo from an egg?!! (Of course I didn't let on that I thought we had our first egg! shhhhh! Our secret [​IMG]. Still waiting on that one!!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by