A Pulsating Bottom

bloomandco

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 5, 2014
UK
Hello, I have recently bought two peking bantams and maran... they are all getting on fine and are healthy except I have noticed that my youngest peking has..well...a pulsating bottom? She doesn't have as much of a fluffy bottom as the the other peking, so I just wondered if this was normal, and just a bit more on show because of lacking feathers orrr she is egg bound or has some other ailment. She seems happy enough, but isn't laying like my other one. I've tried having a look but can't see anything too stuck. Please could someone shed some light! Thanks!!

Hmm... The thinner feathers around her bottom may not be much of a concern, but the pulsating vent does make me wonder about egg binding, too, considering that is mentioned as a symptom of the condition. How long have you noticed the pulsating?

I must admit, I have never read about a chicken who just happens to have a twitchy vent, so hopefully with the help of the forum we can figure out what is going on.

Just the past week, we've noticed the vent being more prominent - as didn't notice it before. I've changed their feed, as when we got them they were being fed on corn, so thought that changing the diet to layers pellets will help the egg production side of things..but the pulsating vent, well, I'm baffled! thank you for your help!

I would be interested in any info you find out about the pulsating vent. I have a barred rock chick with the same issue. Healthy but lacking feathers around its vent so i noticed the overactive vent. Chick is only ten days old.

I've looked up further about the pulsating vent and found a previous post on BYC...a lot of people say it's normal and more common when the hen has just started laying...one person said that their vents pulsate almost constantly, it's just more noticeable I guess with lack of feathers around the vent! Still doesn't answer why she hasn't laid yet and the other hen has, but could be that she's a late bloomer maybe?

Blkjak - if the pulsating vent is normal and the hen is that young perhaps it is because of lack of feathers like mine?

I've looked up further about the pulsating vent and found a previous post on BYC...a lot of people say it's normal and more common when the hen has just started laying...one person said that their vents pulsate almost constantly, it's just more noticeable I guess with lack of feathers around the vent! Still doesn't answer why she hasn't laid yet and the other hen has, but could be that she's a late bloomer maybe?
Oh I'm glad you found that information. The point of first lay can vary a lot depending on breed etc. And even after the first egg their laying schedule can be kind of unpredictable until they settle into their rhythm.

Back
Top Bottom