A quail and a silkie

Taylettice

In the Brooder
Jul 27, 2018
So I incubated 14 coturnix quail eggs and 7 silkie eggs. The quail hatched wonderfully with 12 chicks, but the silkies was a poor rate with one 1 silkie hatching. They are 2 weeks old now and get along great, the quail are nearly the size of the silkie chick and there have been no issues. But I have read about people saying they cant be kept together they dont get along or can carry diseases to the other. My question is should I keep them together or separate this little silkie chick. I'm worried about separating the silkie and stressing it out being a lonely chick.​

Attachments

• 20181216_134116.jpg
    20181216_134116.jpg
    600.2 KB · Views: 103
Being hatched together, there is less chance of a disease being carried by one species and transmitted to the other. The big concern with chickens mixing with quail is that some chicken illness can be fairly mild to a chicken, but will really mess up a quail. So the risk is not totally removed in your case, but at least you are not asking about bringing together chickens from one source, and quail from another. If your silkies pick something up from your backyard and the quail catch it, could be bad. But the quail could have picked it up themselves.....right? Bottom line is that I would monitor them for aggression towards each other, and if they get along, then no need to separate.

Now if you want to add more silkies later.....then the answer can change since the new silkies could bring in some bad stuff for the quail.

Back
Top Bottom