a question aboout meat chicken housing

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by zyzzyx, Feb 26, 2013.

1. zyzzyx

zyzzyx Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2010
    Boquete, Panama
    Good afternoon all--

I have been studying about chickens for a long time trying to decide which chicken experiment I want to do first. I have decided to raise some chickens for meat for me and my close friends and family. I need to give you some background before I ask the question.

I will have two tractors able to house 25 chickens in each. They will be enclosed inside an electric poultry fence I got from Premier Fencing and will be free ranging as much as they will/can.

The more I write about this the sillier the question becomes in my mind---The question is If I train the chickens to go into the tractors by keeping them inside them for a week or so. When I let them free range; will they return to the tractor they were trained to or would it make any difference at all?

Any assistance would be appreciated; Thanks in advance

2. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    Even though they have been bred for quick growth at the cost of a lot of chicken-y functions they are still chickens and will go back into their coop like any other chicken as long as they know that is where home is.

3. zyzzyx

Dec 12, 2010
    Boquete, Panama
    Thank you for the quick answer. If I move the tractors ---will they still go to the house they were trained too?

4. Tabasco Jack

Tabasco Jack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2013
    Draketown, GA
    As long as you hang the feeder in the tractor, they'll go back.

What kind of tractor you planning to build?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  5. zyzzyx

Dec 12, 2010
    Boquete, Panama
    I am using 1/2 inch pvc ( the kind they use for hot water lines) with a bar of 3/8 rebar inside to reduce the wobblies of the pvc and to provide much greater strenght with only a small increase in weight. (small pvc bends a lot). The rebar never rusts because it is inside the pvc and the pvc I am using has a greater resistance to UV light because it is designed for heavier use than regular pvc. It is just a box with a brace across the top which acts as a frame for the top door. The chicken entry is on each corner of the box. Actually it is pretty simple and straight forward.

I know everybody on BYC likes pictures---sorry I don't have a camera

6. 4roadranch

4roadranch Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2012
    What the size of your tractors?

7. zyzzyx

Dec 12, 2010
    Boquete, Panama
    They are 9.5 feet by 7.5 feet now.
    I started out with one that was 18 by 14 but found that it was too wobbly and was very hard to move. I cut it into four pieces and now have finished two of them. Eventually I will have four of the smaller ones. They are flexible enough to bend a little to conform to the rocky and rough ground here and the smaller ones are very easy to move around. I may just use two for chickens and when the time comes to move them I will just place the two empty ones where I want them and move the chickens and all the feeding trays and water sources.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  8. Bone143

Bone143 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2013
    Not exactly the same but maybe this will help you a little. My coop is built on a hay wagon frame since I free range i move them to pasture and then generally keep them closer to the house in the winter. When I move the coop short distances like 100 feet or so I just move it while they are hanging out and they go back to the coop when it is moved. I don't know if it would be the same if I moved it from pasture to the house I havent tried it that would be around 1500 feet or so but I would assume based on my chickens acting like they are dogs they would just follow along beside the tractor as it moves. hope that helps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by