A question about barred hen/non barred rooster

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cluckers&quackers, May 18, 2010.

1. cluckers&quackers

cluckers&quackers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    Vermont
    I read that a barred hen with a non barred rooster would produce barred males and non barred females.

My question is does this apply to any breed of a barred hen, and does it make a difference what the rooster is as long as it is not barred?

My personal scenerio: My barred rock hen mated with my bantam rooster. The roo is multi colored, but not what I assume is considered barred. The resulting chick is feathering in barred like the hen, with a yellow spot on the head.

can it be any barred hen and any non barred rooster, or does the rooster have to be a solid colored rooster?

2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    cluckers&quackers :

I read that a barred hen with a non barred rooster would produce barred males and non barred females.

My question is does this apply to any breed of a barred hen, and does it make a difference what the rooster is as long as it is not barred?

What you heard is correct, unless you're dealing with dominant/ rec white, barring might still show with dominant white, but hard to see if the offspring happens to receive reccessive white from each parents.​

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by