A question about breeding OEGB

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by B. Saffles Farms, Dec 23, 2008.

1. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    I have Old English Game Bantams, and I am wanting to start showing them in the future. My question is where do I get the info on the breeds, such as do you have to cross certain colors to get another color? I know some breed true, but do all of them? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2008
  2. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    I bought a book, Bantam Chickens by Fred Jeffries. It's pretty well-rounded when generally speaking bantam but didn't get into genetics as much as I would have liked. I have one coming called, Pekin Bantams, that supposedly gets into some detail about cochin genetics but Im still on the prowl [​IMG] for a good book.

This site http://home.hetnet.nl/~h.meijers69/kruising.html is used by many but I have found you need to know the basics (which Im still learning) to even understand it.

It is an online chicken calculator ....you just type in your desired cross and ...voila! ... your hybrid is created.

3. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Thanks, Ill have to check those to books out, and the site too.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Msbear...

I love that site... ought to be stickied somewhere. Guess I'll bookmark it... fascinating.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by