A question about breeding

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Rennuke, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Rennuke

Rennuke Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2012
    I'm trying to get started breeding my chickens but I want to stat with decant blood. All I have are chickens from hatcheries and some from tractor supply. I know I can't start with some champion bloodline but I do what to have something haft way decent. I'm going for a self sustaining flock should I try and find some heritage breed roosters some where? Or do you think I can just go with what I have?
    Any thoughts or experience would be appreciated!

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    If you start with hatchery quality birds, you will produce a lot more hatchery quality birds.

If you want better birds, you are going to have to buy better birds to start with, and that means going to a serious breeder.

If the birds are just for yourself and you don't want to show or to sell birds, then you can probably buy 2-3 top quality roosters, remove your hatchery roosters, and use your good roosters on your existing flock. Save your half and half hens, buy more roosters every couple of years, get rid of older hens and keep younger ones and eventually, your flock will start to look quite nice as the new hatch contains a higher percentage of quality blood in each new generation.

Good quality roosters should be reasonable in cost because every breeder produces more roosters than he can use. Some of those excess roosters are going to end up in the stew pot. Many breeders would like to see them go to a good home instead of killing them and will reduce the price for their excess males.

3. Rennuke

Feb 28, 2012
    Thanks ! I think that sounds like a good Idea! Now Where can I find "a serious breeder" :)

4. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Of what?

5. Rennuke

Feb 28, 2012
    Chickens

6. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    First do some serious reading about different breeds and decide which breed(s) you want to have. Then, go to the breeds and showing section here and lurk a while. Then find a breeder close to you or go to a show and talk to those showing their birds.
    Very very few breeders just breed 'chickens'. They specialize in a breed or two.. at most three. You need first to decide what you want in a chicken, or you may end up with the wrong breed for your use.
    Read, read, read.

7. Rennuke

Feb 28, 2012
    I misunderstood NYREDS question. I though they meant “what” as in ducks chickens geese etc. I have had many different breeds of chickens over the years and have do a decent amount of study about them “not that I don’t have a LOT more to learnJ” and I have hatched chicks before. But I just recently decided to get series about breeding them, and improving my flock. I’m looking for Buff Orpinton and Americana Roosters.
    Thanks for the comments!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by