A question about candling

moorechicks

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 5, 2010
Carthage,Tx
First off I am sorry cause I have serached and cant find it if it has been talked about. I have 39 eggs in the bator and tonight at 6:30 will make a week. I was wanting to candle tonight when I get home from work but not sure if I know how. What I mean is when you are candling do you take out one egg at a time? Do you leave the lid off? I am worried about the temp and humidity dropping to low by doing that. So and details as to what to do will be great!! Thank you

I have my eggs set in cartons, so when I candle I pull 1 carton out, close lid and candle. Put carton back in when done grab another one. It usually doesn't take long to candle a dozen eggs. Hope this helps.

Untill you no what you are looking for just take one egg out and put the lid back on so you won't mess your temp up that
much. When I first candled I was lost as to what I was looking for but once you see it you will no from then on what to look for
and you will be able to do it fast.
If you look in there at is all clear then it is nothing. If you look in there and see little veins then you will no that it is developing.
do a search on it and you will find lots of great pics.
Good luck and make sure your room is nice and dark. That helps a lot!!

You may take the lid off, candle each egg, then return the lid. Hens leave the nest long enough to eat, drink, and poo. This will not harm the eggs.

Happy candling!

I just candle as I turn (if I have them in a dark room)..
That way I know which ones Ive candled and which ones I havent
smile.png

I am new at this. I am positive there is a better, (correct), way to do this. I found this post some time ago, saved it, and have referred to it several times. It was very helpful to me.
BYC rules for info on EVERY SORT INFORMATION !!!

*Egg progression (see post #1)
 https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261876&p=1

Sorry about being forum challenged, maybe someone will help with how to get to this post.
idunno.gif

Thank you all so much!!! I can hardly wait until tonight and candle!!
celebrate.gif
... I hope i have at least a hand full of babies that make it!!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom