A Question About Coccidiosis and Quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Orange Ribbon, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Orange Ribbon

Orange Ribbon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Okay, it's me bothering you all again. [​IMG] I understand coccidiosis is very deadly to quail. Cocci happens to be in the soil here at my house, and I have to put my chickens on medicated feed when they are chicks. I've had no problems once they reach adulthood. I do have a building I could put my pens in. It is 32 feet long by 14 feet wide. In the front half I have a couple of chicken pens, but in the back section nothing has ever been in there. Do you think they would be safe in the back part of the building sharing it with the chickens if they have no contact with each other? I do have it partitioned in the middle with a door I can close. Even in the building I would build the cages up off the floor.

Now, I'd also like to know, just for learning purposes, if I got some quail and put a pen up off the ground outside will they be safe? I do let my chickens free range so I'd have to make sure they couldn't get up on the cage and poop on it. Perhaps a very slanted roof. But what is your opinion on how safe they would be in that scenario?

Also, perchance the quail do come down with coccidiosis, can you use Sulmet to treat them like you do chickens?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I would not be comfortable with keeping chickens and quail near each other as disease is very easy to transfer to each other. But if you can be assured that you can still practice good bio security between the two, then that is up to you.

As far as cocci, yes quail do get cocci and it is treated just as it is in chickens. Good luck! [​IMG]

3. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Apple cider vinegar is another remedy for coccidiodosis if you don't like medication. Sulmet works too. I have both on hand usually.

Now chickens and quail should be in separate vicinities as chickens "can" transmit ailments that quail can catch and with their little bodies they don't get over it well.

4. Orange Ribbon

Orange Ribbon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Thanks for the replies Twocrowsranch and Quail Lady. I'm glad to hear the quail can be treated, but I hope to keep them from getting it in the first place. I think I'll build my pens in a different location altogether or perhaps relocate my chickens into another coop and clean the building up real good with some bleach then put the quail in there.

I sure appreciate everyone that has helped me out with all my questions so far, even the questions that are just out of curiosity and have nothing to do with how to raise them. I'm sure I'll have more, but for the most part I'm finding a lot out from just reading various threads here. One thing I'm not doing is getting in a hurry to get any quail until I know I can provide the best facilities for them and understand all I can about taking care of them. Might try to get some around the end of November or December. Maybe I can have a quail dinner for New Years. [​IMG]

5. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    Quote:So is apple cider vinegar something that could be given on a regular basis? [​IMG]

6. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
  7. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    thanks critter!!! [​IMG]

8. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Quote:your welcome![​IMG]

9. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    I like your Idea of cleaning that building out and using it for quail, from what I've read coturnix do very well in that type of senario. I wish I had a space like that to use for quail. Like you I ask alot of question and there for I am able to help others with the same questions. I rarely put the answers to my own use (though I wish I had the resources to) but we are all her to help one another and get help when we need it. Most of the reason I'm on here is that I like to always be learning more about the things I enjoy. I have had a little bit of poultry experience but most of my knowledge comes from talking to other people and reading alot of differnt matterial. Never feel bad for asking to many questions, just pass on the answers. [​IMG]

10. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Can Anyone Post A Link To A Scientific Study That Covers The Usefulness Or Use As A Treatment Of Acv In Gamebirds Of Anytype? I Have Looked And Cannot Find Anything Other Than Poultry Wives Tales Type Postings, I Would Really Like To See Scientific Info If It Exists As I Have Not Found Any. Anyone?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by