A question about duck mating

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bilbothebanty, Mar 23, 2012.

1. bilbothebanty

bilbothebanty Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2012
    Illinois
    We have six ducks, five females and one male. So far the male has only acted interested in one of the females. He chases her all over but pays no attention to the others, is the normal behavior.

2. Mike Winters

Mike Winters Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    yep drakes have two different one that more like a goose where if they are bonded with a female they will only mate and prefer hanging out with that female, and be hostle to any other duck or drake that comes near it. Or if they are not bonded with a female they will force themselves on any female that they can run down and over power. so your drake is normal hes just bonded with that one female and wants nothing to do with the rest.

3. Well, not for my drake -- he has 6 females, and still finds a need to chase one of the female geese around in hopes that she'll fall in love. She doesn't, and the ganders strongly disapprove of interspecies relationships, but that doesn't seem to discourage him any. Poor duck -- I had no idea drakes were so crazy . . . he does tend to hang out with one or two mostly, but he spreads his attentions around pretty evenly.

4. bilbothebanty

bilbothebanty Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2012
    Illinois
    Ok this is help full, so if I want all of my hens to be bred will i need a different drake for the others.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If you remove his favorite out of sight he may start spreading his lovin' around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by