1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

a question about heat sources

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RECE*2C*, May 21, 2010.

1. RECE*2C*

RECE*2C* In the Brooder

May 21, 2010
    oswego
    hi i just singed up and i was wondering if any one has ever herd of this or done this?
    i want to look at some chicks today and the man that i was going to get them from did not have a heat lamp on them so i asked where it was and he said "i don't use one on them after they are a day old i use a heating pad."

2. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    a heating pad is kinda OK for a very small amount of chicks, you have to watch out for the poo and them getting to hot, all the heat is in one spot and not variable,
    I use a heat emitter, there is no light out put so the chicks are given the normal day-to-night light

[​IMG]

3. lottastuff9

lottastuff9 In the Brooder

Jan 3, 2010
    [​IMG] I love the idea of that heat emitter! Dang I wish I would have seen that earlier, next batch of chicks I think one is in order. [​IMG]

4. RECE*2C*

RECE*2C* In the Brooder

May 21, 2010
    oswego
    thank you very much maybe i will get some from him. [​IMG] they were really cute [​IMG]

5. Thanks for passing this on ... wish we had the heat emitter when we brought home our chicks last month [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by