A question about hen sitting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cluckers&quackers, Apr 22, 2009.

1. cluckers&quackers

cluckers&quackers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    Vermont
    Now this may sound like a stupid question but, does a chicken start sitting on the first egg, or do they do like ducks and start sitting after they have a nice nest full of eggs?

I have a hen that flies out of the coop every day, for the last few days she has been going into my rabbit barn, in a little nest she made in the hay and lays her egg, once the egg is laid she leaves it. I have been taking the egg each day, but I am wondering since she is so determined to lay them in that spot if I leave them if she might decide to sit on them? Just wasn't sure if they wait to have a nest full or if they start sitting with the first egg?

Thanks for any help!![​IMG]

2. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    are you wanting her to be broody? and hatch them?

if you take them away I imagine that may deter her from sitting on them. I am sure a pro will chime in and give you more help

3. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    They like to get a nest full then go to sit...........

4. cluckers&quackers

cluckers&quackers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    Vermont
    Yes I do want her to sit on them, but I wasn't sure how they do it, I will start leaving her eggs and see if she decides to sit on them:D

Thanks!!

5. Crazy4cochins

Crazy4cochins Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    NW MO
    Hi,
    my Momma hens will sit and then just keep laying until it is full. I have a 3 hen group they will set together
    in one box and the other hens come and lay their eggs in front of them and so those 2-3 ladies set on them till they hatch. Easter day I got 4-8 chicks [​IMG] but I have a few that lay there eggs on the floor not in the nesting box. I also have had a few that will start to sit on their nest and then quit after two weeks so the eggs died:(.
    Hope I helped.

6. chickenfever

chickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    My recent broody gathered the days eggs from 10 other hens by rolling them out of the nest boxes last Friday and has been sitting on them since. I had not noticed that she was wanting to go broody before that.

7. opihiman911

opihiman911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2007
    They like to get 8 or 10 eggs in a nest before the sit for good on them. If you have different breeds you can switch out eggs and hatch more or one breed or certian trait you want.
    My broody hen is sitting on 10 jumbo RIR/BR mix that I hand selected for the jumbo eggs. Its her first time but she is sitting strong on day 17-18, couple more day to go. Poor girl lays medium cream eggs, she must feel like she is laying on boulders.
    Good luck.

Aloha,
    Cory

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by