A question about male/female ratio

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Tina12, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Tina12

Tina12 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2013
    I am new here so I hope I am posting this in the right place. About 7 years ago I decided to incubate some eggs. The first dozen I bought buff orpington eggs from ebay so they were shipped. I had 5 hatch and they all ended up being male. So I decided to go local and bought another dozen of buff orpington eggs from a local auction. I had 4 hatch and they all were male.

Third times a charm right? I decided to try it again but this time I bought a dozen silkie eggs from the local auction. And guess what? 5 hatched and all boys again!! I gave up. Did I do something wrong?

The only reason I am asking is because I want to try again. After 7 years...lol. But I do not want a bunch of roosters [​IMG]

Thanks for reading. Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Tina

2. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    luck of the draw, I have heard if you have warmer chicks they can be male. in the croc world mothers can decide if there is too many females in her group to bury the eggs closer to the surface, where it is warmer, and she burys them deeper if she thinks there are too many males. and they say as far as humans go if you want girls you should have the guy wear boxers.

3. heronz

heronz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Some say female chicks survive colder temps better and males survive warmer temps better.
    Maybe you should run you're incubator just a squeak cooler and see what happens.

4. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I just hatched a bunch of fridge eggs 3 tan ones hatched and the rest didn't make it. I will let you know if they are female.

with all barred rocks have white spot on head. females have a smaller white spot, how about second gen mixes? I have had black star hen who had a baby and the baby looked like a black star female markings but it was male.

here's my hatched batch: EE/RIR mixes- fridge babies, separate batch CooCoo marans/mixes all different moms.[​IMG] born 2/20/2013

5. Tina12

Tina12 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2013
    Thanks for the replies. I will try setting the incubator down a little. Please let me know how your fridge eggs turn out [​IMG]

Tina

6. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    lower temps in the first 3-5 days, it won't mater after that because the sex is already formed, I wouldn't try too low but just don't go 100-101.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by