a question about my button hatchlings...

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Little_Bigfoot, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Little_Bigfoot

Little_Bigfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    Washington
    a two part question... first i just hatched two of 8 eggs on day sixteen but my last batch didnt hatch till day 19 what should i expect?
    and second now that i have the two new hatchlings it makes it quite difficult to turn my other eggs but they need to stay ant 99 degrees for the first week, i have a brooder with a hundred watt light but it only gets to 85 degrees any suggestions?

2. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

sounds like you need to figure out a secondary heat source for the brooder ASAP because as soon as quail chicks hatch and dry off they need to be removed from the hatcher. Quail aren't like chickens who have a reserve to sustain them for hours and hours .they need to eat and drink within a fairly short time period after they hatch.
    And,come to thinking,why would you even be turning eggs that should be in "lockdown"? They shouldn't be turned the last 3 days before hatch.....hope this helps.

3. Little_Bigfoot

Little_Bigfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    Washington
    i have diffrent cycles of eggs, i put them in in groups of 8, so every 8 days i have a new batch hatching, they have food and water but just wondering what light set up you guys use to produce 100 degrees.

4. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:i use a 60 watt bulb......but then my brooder isn't very big either...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by