A Question About My Ducks Laying

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by HeadRooster, Oct 13, 2009.

1. HeadRooster

HeadRooster New Egg

Hi,
    I have 2 females, 1 male Pekin ducks. I recently built a shelter for them and right away they made a nest in the hay and are laying their eggs there. I have 7 eggs so far.
    My question is, will the females sit on these eggs to hatch them or not? I have not seen them sitting on the eggs. What do you think?
    Thanks, David

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    I don't think Pekins are broodies. Sorry but I don't think they'll set. Maybe I'm wrong though?

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    If they don't start setting on them, collect them and eat them. Pekins tend to not go broodie but it can happen.

4. HeadRooster

HeadRooster New Egg

Thank you so much for the replies to my question.
    I guess I need to figure out what to do with the eggs.
    I have 10 chicken layers, so I already give away
    lots of eggs to other family members.
    Thanks, David [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  5. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Why dont you eat them?There delicous in cakes and baked goods.

6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Put an ad on craigslist and sell them. Bakers LOVE duck eggs.

7. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    If you want to hatch ducks, you can put the eggs under a broody chicken if you have one. She'll hatch & rear them just fine.

Or, as someone already said, sell them on craigslist for eating. Or sell them as hatching eggs (just make sure you're up to date on the protocol for saving hatching eggs--it's not hard, but it is different than storing eating eggs).

8. pirtykitty

pirtykitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    The make fantastic cakes, and brownies.. Oh good scrambled with a little cheese and milk too.. Still need to try making chocolate chip cookies.. oops forgot to mention that the belgian waffles I made were also really good make with duck eggs.

9. HeadRooster

HeadRooster New Egg

Update:
    After the duck layed several eggs, she did indeed start sitting on them. Seems like in the last couple days, she is sitting on them a lot more. Will I get little babies? I don't know, but if I do, I'll be sure to post some pictures. Everyone in the family is excited about the possibility of little ducklings.
    David

I have them free 24/7 at my pond on my surburban home site. I guess now I am going to have to consider a pen to lock them up at night.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  10. Dances with Ducks

Dances with Ducks Chillin' With My Peeps

I just love it when it turns out like this!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by