1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A question about my easter eggers. I'm a bit confused.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cupman, Oct 13, 2011.

1. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I hope this is the right section for this question but...

I have 2 easter eggers I got from the feed store this past April. I have 12 total grown birds and let them free range most of the time. Well, there was a minor house fire last week and we've had a million different cleaning people come through all day this week so they've been penned up in the run except for about 2 hours at the end of the day. Well, I hadn't collected eggs since Sunday night and when I went and got my eggs I noticed out of the 24 eggs or so I got only one of them was green. They can't get out and there's nowhere to really hide the eggs. Can easter eggers lay brown eggs and not green? That could explain it as I had about a million brown eggs. I am just confused! what do you think?

2. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    Quote:Yes EE's can definately lay brown eggs, they can lay almost any color depending on individual genetics. The chances are greater for a colored egg (some form of blue or green) if the hen's comb is pea (but not 100%) and conversely if the hen's comb is single increased likelyhood of some version of brown. (but again not 100%)

3. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    Could they be molting? I know mine sure are! At first I thought the ladies went on strike because I started putting the babies (now 6 1/2 weeks old) out there, but nope...mine are definitely molting.

4. yinzerchick

yinzerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    E.Texas
    Yes EE's can definately lay brown eggs, they can lay almost any color depending on individual genetics. The chances are greater for a colored egg (some form of blue or green) if the hen's comb is pea (but not 100%) and conversely if the hen's comb is single increased likelyhood of some version of brown. (but again not 100%)

x2 [​IMG]

5. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    Yes they can lay brown eggs, but my understanding is that once they lay the color does not change. It maight get a little lighter, but it would not go from green to brown. So if she had been laying green eggs all along and now you didn't get any I would say it was limited freedom affecting the laying. Anything stressful can cause them to stop laying. I noticed that after an attempted hawk attack. We were getting 8-9 eggs everyday out of 9 hens this summer. Then the day after the hawk attack just 2 eggs, and following days were like 4-5.

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I had one EE that didn't start laying until she was 40 weeks old. Slacker. I had assumed she was laying brown or cream eggs because I was only getting one green egg a day. I was kind of disappointed because I have many brown egg layers but only 2 EEs. Imagine my surprise on the day I got 2 green ones. I figured out then that she was just a really late bloomer. So, don't give up on yours quite yet. You may still get another green egg layer.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by