A question about my pullet's poo, pic included

CrazyCrttr75

Free Ranging
Apr 21, 2018
Robertson County, TN
Is that blood? Could it be possible coccidosis? :sick Could it be something else? Poo is solid and otherwise normal looking. I don't know which pullet it's coming from. My girls are 8 1/2 months old. I've had them since they were a couple days old. Are Black Australorps and Jersey Giants. Were on medicated starter growing up. Did have them on Purina Flock Raiser but I had a pullet having thin/soft/shell less egg issues even though I had oyster shell out at all times and another having calcium build up spots on her eggs so I ended up switching to a Purina Layena Plus Omega-3 feed. I haven't had an issue since but it's only been a couple weeks or so. I just noticed this when I was cleaning up the poo from their coop. I clean it up every day. I thought I saw something before but it wasn't as noticeable, the white part just slightly tinged in color, so I thought maybe I was seeing things. Or maybe it's a dif pullet? :barnie Everyone is eating and drinking fine. Walking around and scratching the ground. Come running to greet me when I come out of the house to go see them. Suggestions on what to do, if anything? Pic below. That's a kitty litter scooper and sand I am scooping it out of. Thx!
IMG_4172.JPG

It's what I would call Coral colored urates.
If it's just a one time thing, then I wouldn't worry about it. If you see it consistently, then getting a fecal float is a good idea this will let you know if there is a worm load or coccidiosis overload.

It could be a touch of blood - it is not uncommon for layers to rupture a tiny blood vessel when laying an egg, depending on the location of the rupture the blood may end up in an egg (blood spot in eggs) or possibly mix with some poop.

I go by behavior as well as what's seen in poop. Since she is eating/drinking/active and you see nothing odd in her demeanor, then deem her "fine" unless you note otherwise.

It's what I would call Coral colored urates.
If it's just a one time thing, then I wouldn't worry about it. If you see it consistently, then getting a fecal float is a good idea this will let you know if there is a worm load or coccidiosis overload.

It could be a touch of blood - it is not uncommon for layers to rupture a tiny blood vessel when laying an egg, depending on the location of the rupture the blood may end up in an egg (blood spot in eggs) or possibly mix with some poop.

I go by behavior as well as what's seen in poop. Since she is eating/drinking/active and you see nothing odd in her demeanor, then deem her "fine" unless you note otherwise.

Thank you. Possible egg laying being the culprit didn't even cross my mind. This makes me feel better. I am mostly getting medium (by weight) sized eggs but do get a couple large (by weight) ones as well. It's been a while since I've gotten a double yoker but it has happened. Maybe it's one of the girls that is doing the large eggs. I'll continue keeping an eye on them. Thx again! :highfive:

ETA:
I recently got a book, The Chicken Health Handbook, and in it it talks about how to do a fecal float. That is something I will definitely keep in mind as I continue to monitor them.

Thank you. Possible egg laying being the culprit didn't even cross my mind. This makes me feel better. I am mostly getting medium (by weight) sized eggs but do get a couple large (by weight) ones as well. It's been a while since I've gotten a double yoker but it has happened. Maybe it's one of the girls that is doing the large eggs. I'll continue keeping an eye on them. Thx again! :highfive:

ETA:
I recently got a book, The Chicken Health Handbook, and in it it talks about how to do a fecal float. That is something I will definitely keep in mind as I continue to monitor them.
Collect some poop and run it over to the dog vet...for a fecal float. Most dog vets will test it for you.

Back
Top Bottom