1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A question about poultry booster

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by peepkeeper, Apr 19, 2008.

1. peepkeeper

peepkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2007
    upstate New York
    I've been giving my chickens poultry booster over the winter since they were having a feather picking problem which members told me was probably a mineral deficincy. Now that' it's warm out and they can free range again, should I still feed it? Or can I stop? I'm almost out and need to know if I should order more.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

You can probably stop now that they get to free range and eat fresh goodies.

3. peepkeeper

Jul 5, 2007
    upstate New York
    Well that's a relief on the old pocketbook. Thanks.

4. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    did it seem to help?

5. peepkeeper

Jul 5, 2007
    upstate New York
    It really did help. It was my first winter with chickens. Around february they started picking at each other's feathers, chasing each other around, generally acting frantic about something. I couldn't figure it out. Someone said to get poultry booster for the vitamins and minerals they weren't getting in the winter, and mealworms for the protien. I thought their feed was taking care of it. It really helped, they calmed down, started acting normally, and quit picking feathers. They still have bald spots.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by