A Question about turning, before and after setting.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chics in the sun, Apr 25, 2011.

1. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    Okay, I got too many eggs for my broodies to set (partially because I don't trust one with more than just a few), so I borrowed a brand new incubator from a friend. It is octogon shaped and clear on top, and does not have an automatic turner. The brand name is Janoel.

I am planning on turning the eggs three times a day, but will be leaving out of town from Friday afternoon till Sunday mid-day. How important is it for the eggs to be turned in the early stages? My Mom will stop by to check on my birds on Saturday, and she could turn them then. Would it be better to wait until we get back on Sunday? I got some eggs for my friend at a swap on Saturday, and I won eggs on here last Tuesday but they haven't arrived yet. So if I wait till Sunday the eggs from the swap will all be at least 8 days old, and I don't know when the seller collected eggs or when he mailed them out.
    I am also in Florida and my house is about 78 degrees, the eggs I got at the swap for her are sitting on my table. There are no cooler areas - anywhere.......[​IMG]

It mentions moving them around while you are waiting to put them in, but I don't quite get what it means. Do you tilt the whole carton back and forth at and angle?

2. chics in the sun

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    Okay, I just read the instructions, which are in humorous broken English. They say not to turn them for the first three days, which I haven't read any where else. That would solve my problem - I could set them before I leave and start turning when I get back.... input?

3. hannakat

hannakat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    I don't know if it will hurt them or not if you don't turn them the first 3 days. Since it's so early in the development, I would hope you'd be safe. I've found that chicks can be very resilent.

When I was saving up eggs to incubate, I kept them in the basement and turned them once a day. They were in an egg carton and we'd just tilt the whole thing on it's end then switch it the next day. Don't know if that's really necessary but I read it somewhere and since I have the time, went ahead and did it. Did it make a difference...who knows!!!

Good luck!

4. davony's chicks

davony's chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2009
    Missouri
    I agree you will probably be ok not turning them for the first 3 days since it is early in the development.
    I too have kept my eggs in an egg carton and tilted it from end to end twice a day before incubation. I have always had good luck and sometimes before I got an egg turner I would forget to turn 3 times a day. I have found the chicks and eggs to be very forgiving of my imperfections. [​IMG]

good luck and happy hatching!

5. Higins00

Higins00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Ct
    I would think since your having your mom turn them on Sat, being so early in the stages you will be ok . I myself would probly wait but I don't have the eggs sitting in fromt of me begging to go in.
    They say to turn the egg or rotate it once a day before incubation. Always have the eggs point side down.

6. chics in the sun

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    Thank you for your replies! I will set them on Thursday evening, and have my Mom turn them on Saturday, then start turning three times a day on Sunday when I get back. I just don't want the eggs to get too old. SO - just to be clear - you keep the eggs in the carton smaller side down, and just rotate them? Not actually take them out and turn them over so the big side is down?

7. hannakat

hannakat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    I propped the egg carton on something (about 5" high) and just switched ends. You can also (depending on your incubator) prop one end up and move it to the other end when 'turning'

Also, the minimum, as I understand it is twice a day. A hen moves her eggs once an hour....so, I 'turned' mine throughout the day and if DH got up in the middle of the night, he'd turn them also.

Just more food for thought!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by