A question for you all from a newbie in Berkeley California.

Pullet or Cockerel?

• Pullet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cockerel

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

4Exploradores

Chirping
Jul 7, 2016
Berkeley California
Hi everyone-

So grateful for this forum. You all helped us pick out our breeds (2 wellsummers, 2 easter eggers, 2 polish), figure out how to have a healthy/happy brooder box, and what we should do in our coop (to light or not to light - that is the question!).

The chicks are 7 weeks old now and will be moved outside as soon as the coop is finished. It's super exciting.

So, here's a question for you all. One of the Polish chicks is very aggressive. It's pecked out all the head feathers of the other polish until she's bloody (we're treating her head and have isolated her until she's healed because all the other chicks were pecking at her blood). It's also very aggressive with the other chicks. Yesterday it started crowing in the morning too. It's 1/3 bigger than the other polish and has developed pronounced wattles.

What do you think? Pullet or Cockerel?

Hi and
welcome-byc.gif
Sorry, I have no idea with Polish, but they are very cute! If you post a picture in What Breed or Gender is This, folks should be able to help you out. Thanks for joining us!
smile.png

Last edited:
Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! At 7 weeks you have a very pretty polish cockerel there. White crested black hens do have wattles but not as early as 7 weeks and crowing is a dead give away. Great to hear you have seperated your picked on one this is what I do too with my polish if they become under attack.

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

Last edited:
Thank you SO much everyone! Though he'll have to be re-homed (Roos are illegal in Berkeley), in the interim, we're thoroughly enjoying his juvenile crowing.

Here he is when he was just a few days old. I can't believe what a difference 7 weeks makes!

Back
Top Bottom