1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A question for you all from a newbie in Berkeley California.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by 4Exploradores, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Pullet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Cockerel

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. 4Exploradores

4Exploradores New Egg

Jul 7, 2016
    Berkeley California
    Hi everyone-

So grateful for this forum. You all helped us pick out our breeds (2 wellsummers, 2 easter eggers, 2 polish), figure out how to have a healthy/happy brooder box, and what we should do in our coop (to light or not to light - that is the question!).

The chicks are 7 weeks old now and will be moved outside as soon as the coop is finished. It's super exciting.

So, here's a question for you all. One of the Polish chicks is very aggressive. It's pecked out all the head feathers of the other polish until she's bloody (we're treating her head and have isolated her until she's healed because all the other chicks were pecking at her blood). It's also very aggressive with the other chicks. Yesterday it started crowing in the morning too. It's 1/3 bigger than the other polish and has developed pronounced wattles.

What do you think? Pullet or Cockerel?
    [​IMG]

2. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi and [​IMG] Sorry, I have no idea with Polish, but they are very cute! If you post a picture in What Breed or Gender is This, folks should be able to help you out. Thanks for joining us! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! At 7 weeks you have a very pretty polish cockerel there. White crested black hens do have wattles but not as early as 7 weeks and crowing is a dead give away. Great to hear you have seperated your picked on one this is what I do too with my polish if they become under attack.

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  4. 4Exploradores

4Exploradores New Egg

Jul 7, 2016
    Berkeley California
    Thank you SO much everyone! Though he'll have to be re-homed (Roos are illegal in Berkeley), in the interim, we're thoroughly enjoying his juvenile crowing.

Here he is when he was just a few days old. I can't believe what a difference 7 weeks makes!
    [​IMG]

5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    What a shame you have to rehome him, I hope he finds somewhere nice.
    Yes 7 weeks sure can make a difference, super cute chicks there!

6. MamaJesi

MamaJesi Just Hatched

Jul 5, 2016
    Nevada City, CA
    Did you find him a home yet? Is the Little Farm willing to take him? that is if they are still open -- long time since I've been in my home town

1 person likes this.
  7. 4Exploradores

4Exploradores New Egg

Jul 7, 2016
    Berkeley California
    Ooooooh! Good idea MamaJesi! I'll call them. So many happy hours spent there with the kiddos. Can't believe I didn't think of that! Thank you.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hope you've found a good place for him. BYCers are so helpful.

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Looks like a cockerel to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by