A question for you breeders.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by FowlDelights, Mar 29, 2011.

1. FowlDelights

FowlDelights Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2009
    Elgin, Tx
    I am a rookie and haven't yet selected any eggs to hatch. At what age do you select the hens and roosters for breeding. I realize that once the hen starts laying eggs she can become fertile, but has she matured properly? Same goes for the rooster. Is it better to wait at least a year to insure better development or does it really matter? I would like to breed to APA standards.

Thanks

2. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    A longtime APA/ABA judge once told me "Breed from your hens and cock birds, not your pullets and cockerels."

That allows you to see if the birds hold their type as they age, which is important in any breed.

So the short answer is, ideally you should wait until they are at least a year old before breeding.

3. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Tis true. The exception is oriental fowl, which mature slowly and are not fully mature until two years..........Pop

4. FowlDelights

FowlDelights Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2009
    Elgin, Tx
    Thanks Pathfinders. That is just what I needed to know. My pullets have been laying for a couple of months but I hadn't found anything on when to start selecting. Now I can keep an eye on which ones to breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by