1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A question of color

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Tivona, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Tivona

Tivona Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    So I have 5 young ducks that I hatched out for myself. Their parents are golden 300s and I just wanted to add a few more layers. The genetics end on this round as they are mixes. One generation out is all I will do with the 300s before buying more ducklings. But I am totally puzzled by the color of two of them. Silver or a very pale gold center to the feathers with the edges of the feathers being ringed a darker gold or almost bronze. One of the ducks is more silver and the other more gold but they are very similar. Any ideas on what this color is called or what breeds exhibit this coloring? Sorry the picture isn't better they were busy watching my goose behind me and also they were in the shade making them look darker then they really are.
    [​IMG]

The one in the back is a touch more gold and the one that fully shows more silver. Any ideas on this coloring?

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    They look similar to blue apricot to me but being mixed they will not be that exactly.

3. Tivona

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    Thanks. They are very similar to blue apricot after I checked some photos of others. I had been searching through the genetics pages and pictures and just not getting anywhere till you said that. Not an exact match but very close. I do wonder what is in the golden 300s and seeing the babies so very different one to another is certainly interesting.

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    If I'm not mistaken they are at least a 3 way cross. With that many genetics in them you should keep throwing a nice variety of ducklings [​IMG]

5. Tivona

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    From what I have seen it could easily be a three or four way cross. Definitely not a two way cross. Never can be sure on what the kids will be like but I have gotten some beautiful babies out of two hatches. I had a broody duck and she seemed sincere so I let her. This batch out of 5 has 4 girls and I always keep my girls so I am at my limit, so no more babies for awhile. I buy a batch then hatch a batch then go back to buying and keep them long after they are less productive so it will be awhile before I can wonder about the genetics of more babies. These new ones are the most unusual in coloring I have seen. Thanks again for the tip on the color.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by