A question on hard boiled eggs

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Netherworldtaken, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Netherworldtaken

Netherworldtaken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2010
    Missouri
    My wife makes great hard boiled eggs but ever since we started raising chickens and getting our own eggs we have been having a problem. We boil the eggs as we always have but we seem to have trouble getting our eggs out of the shell. we never had issues with store bought eggs. They seem to stick to the shell and when the shell comes off it takes a thin uneven layer of egg white with it. Is there some trick we dont know? Do we need to increase the cooking times or the cool off period or something? we are stumped.

2. definetlydeb

definetlydeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    Tioga/Potter County
    Hi there, and I had the same issue, until someone posted something very interesting...it has been a while, and forgive me, I can't remember who it was, but....it was said to start water boiling first...rolling boil, then ladel eggs in, boil for 15 min...(well that is what i do mine anyhoo), but when time is up, drain off hot water, I fill my pan with cold water, let them sit for a bit and VOILA....they come perfectly out of the shell!!!! I apologize for not remembering who gets the credit for this, but it surely worked for me, maybe you could type in boiled eggs in search and find the post!!!! Good Luck!!

3. definetlydeb

definetlydeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    Tioga/Potter County
    chickensista
    Chillin' With My Peeps

E-mail PM Crazy easy way to make hard boiled eggsOK, I've been trying various methods to hard boil my eggs,peel them, and still end up with something resembling an egg. Some success, but nothing I'd want to use for say deviled eggs.

So last weekend my husband asks if I want a boiled egg. Sure. He hands me the most perfectly peeled egg oblivious to the miracle he has performed. Casually I ask him how he made the eggs.

Get the water boiling first - rapid boil. Add a dash of salt. Gently lower eggs in with a ladle. 14 minutes later drain and put in cold water so they are cool enough to handle. Peel.

I tried it tonight to see if I could duplicate the perfect egg. The eggs practically roll out of the shell. I have almost intact shells. Sooo easy.

Now, do I tell him how amazing he is?

Ahhh, here is the original post.....[​IMG]

4. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    We also do what is recommended above to prepare our hard boiled eggs, but many times, really FRESH eggs are still difficult to peel. I just use a dozen that is a week or so old.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  5. Netherworldtaken

Netherworldtaken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2010
    Missouri
    thank you we will try that method.

6. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Quote:Yep fresh eggs are the problem but the above method does help a lot. I do find if I don't wait a few days they stick. Always makes me wonder, how old were those store bought eggs I used to eat? [​IMG]

7. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Quote:Yep fresh eggs are the problem but the above method does help a lot. I do find if I don't wait a few days they stick. Always makes me wonder, how old were those store bought eggs I used to eat? [​IMG]

I have also heard this from several people who raise chickens, some suggest leaving your fresh eggs in the fridge for 2-4 weeks (some say even up to 6) if you are using them for hard boiling.

I also wonder how old the eggs in the grocery store are.... [​IMG]

8. Missouri Chicken Chick

Missouri Chicken Chick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2011
    Mansfield
    As I was reading this string, I thought the same thing. So if fresh eggs are hard to peel when boiled, how old do you think store-bought eggs are? I'm not sure I even want to know.

I have quite a few people who buy eggs from me and most of them have learned through time that if they want to boil them, they always use the older ones for that.

Exactly how long can eggs be kept before they are bad? Do they ever go bad if they are refrigerated?

9. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Quote:I think it varies depending on the temps an egg is kept at and humidity. In many countries they do not refridgerate their eggs at all but leave them out on the counter. This might even be better for the egg since the fridge may dry out an egg even faster. Here is an article I found on the subject. It includes how to test for freshness and how to visually tell if an egg is still ok.
    http://www.helpwithcooking.com/egg-guide/fresh-egg-test.html

10. Missouri Chicken Chick

Missouri Chicken Chick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2011
    Mansfield
    The floating thing makes perfect sense. Thanks for the article.

I lived in Germany for a while and at the time they didn't refrigerate much of anything. As you stated, they just left their eggs at room temperature. The first time I bought groceries at the local grocery store, I was surprised that they weren't in the refrigerated section. So it's obviously not necessary to refrigerate them.

The next time I make boiled eggs I am going to follow the method suggested and see how it works. I usually end up obliterating the egg before I finally get it peeled. And forget about using the whites for deviled eggs... Usually I just end up making egg salad instead.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by