A question on pullet behavior...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by justinwrites, Aug 6, 2011.

1. justinwrites

justinwrites Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2011
    Oskaloosa, KS
    I have a BR pullet/hen who is 15 weeks. Today I found her hanging out by herself in the house while the others were enjoying the fresh water and scratch. I don't see any outward symptoms or wounds. But she definitely wants to go in the shade and sit down. It's been very hot here until the last couple of days. My suspicion is a laying instinct is starting up or perhaps she might be trying to lay the very first egg? They're still a little young for that aren't they?

2. misfitfarm

misfitfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Lorimor, Iowa
    Maybe a little of both! My are 24 weeks and I'm still waiting [​IMG]

3. kera!

kera! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Navajo County
    Maybe mine did that off and on for a few weeks and then laid...good luck it could take another month Or more!

4. justinwrites

Aug 4, 2011
    Oskaloosa, KS
    Thanks. I had resolved myself to patience and feeding the little moochers all the noms they could eat. I was in their house to add a bit more chips and she comes hopping out of corner. Startled the bujeezus out of me. I was not expecting any of them to be inside with a fresh yard full of scratch. Then she promptly climbed into my mock orange as deep as she could get. I'm getting ready to go back out and check on them.

Thanks guys.

5. justinwrites

Aug 4, 2011
    Oskaloosa, KS
    It finally warmed up today and now they're all being lazy gits and lounging in various shady areas. So I'll just take that as a good sign.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by