A quick hello!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Debbie B, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Debbie B

Debbie B Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2015
    Northeast Kansas
    Just thought I'd jump in and send you all a quick hello and let you know that I'm rifling through your forums and having fun doing it! I've got a strong desire to set up a backyard coop in the spring. I live in a suburban neighborhood and would like to raise and care for half a dozen layers. There's so much information here, it's just wonderful. Thank you all for sharing your knowledge so willingly!

I'm researching breeds -- would like a "rainbow" flock, I think. I'm not yet familiar with many breeds, but so far I love the look of cochins, with their little "bloomerrs" and the (light?) brahmas are just lovely. I'm in NE Kansas, so they'll be cold in the winter and hot in the summer and need to be hardy. I'd like them to be decent layers, but they don't have to be the best at that as there's just one of me. Any surplus would go to my son and his family.

I've just ordered a couple of used copies of the following books, your recommendations for any others that you enjoyed or found particularly informative are most welcome.

http://www.amazon.com/Magnificent-C...46060&sr=1-1&keywords=the+magnificent+chicken

http://www.amazon.com/Storeys-Illus...=storey's+illustrated+guide+to+poultry+breeds

I'm researching coops and am finding a huge range of options, which is a overwhelming. I don't believe I have the skills to build something from scratch, but could probably tackle a kit and get my son to assist if need be. On the list of considerations is purchasing a garden shed kit and converting it to a coop. Here's an example of a kit that I found today that I thought might work well and won't break the bank. Please let me know if you think I'm on the right track:

http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog...alow-Chicken-Coop-up-to-6-chickens-p1185.aspx

I thought this coop could be put up on a stand so I could maximize the space available for the chickens when they are outside as I have a fairly small yard. I would not purchase the runs they offer for the coop because I believe I can save a good deal of money by building the run, and that appears to be basic enough a task that I can swing it if I can settle on a good layout. I really like the cattle panel hoop runs as it looks like they can be quite roomy, sturdy and cost effective. I would not be able to let my chickens free range so I need to build a pen that provides enough space that they won't suffer from being contained all the time.

I guess I've rattled on long enough for my first post. Thank you for reading and for any advice you might care to offer.

Regards from Kansas!

- Deb

2. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

My name is also Debby (with a "y") and I grew up in NE Kansas! That was a very nice intro, it was interesting to read. You might enjoy checking in with other KS members:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/248925/consolidated-kansas

The Learning Center is the best place to learn the basics of chicken care, including space requirements and selecting chickens breeds best for your situation:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Thanks for joining us, it's nice to have you here!

3. Debbie B

Oct 19, 2015
    Northeast Kansas
    Thanks for the nice welcome, Debby, and for pointing to some great reading material for me! I'm sure I'll run into you again as i wander around. :)

4. CherriesBrood

CherriesBrood Chicken Photographer

Hello and :welcome

We are glad you joined us! I'm sure you will enjoy this site. There is so many great things about chickens and other poultry on here, and I'm sure you can even answer other people's questions too.

Once again :welcome

CherriesBrood~

5. Debbie B

Oct 19, 2015
    Northeast Kansas
    Hi, CherriesBrood! Thank you for the welcome, I appreciate it. Right now I'm reading everyone else's questions and the answers they get. Maybe one day I'll know enough that I can help somebody else. I am looking forward to that!

6. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

7. Debbie B

Oct 19, 2015
    Northeast Kansas
    Hi, NickyNack! Thank you so much for the greeting! I am finding so much information here. Loving all the photos and descriptions and stories. Folks who keep chickens seem to really enjoy talking about them, and that's great for somebody just starting out. :) I'm sure we'll meet again!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Debbie B. Welcome to Backyard chickens. Generally the kits and ready made coops look adorable BUT are too small for the amount of birds they suggest. Also they don't tend to be durable.

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

10. Debbie B

Oct 19, 2015
    Northeast Kansas
    Thank you, Drumstick Diva (great name!)! That's the kind of feedback I need to hear. I will keep looking!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by