A quick question on chick feed.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Tokajein, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Tokajein

Tokajein Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    So i was at a local animal food, and supplies store, and I saw two buckets for chick feed.
    One said it was medicated, the other said it wasn't. I asked one of the people working their what the actual difference was, but she wasn't completely sure. So she had me get the unmedicated one. She said all she knew is that the medicated on was only for chickens, and since I have chicken and quail on the way, I should just use the unmedicated.
    So I was wondering.... Is baby chicken feed okay for baby quail at all?
    And
    What is the real difference between medicated, and unmedicated. What does the medicine do exactly?
    Thanks

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It depends on what the "medicated" is. Probably it is Amprolium, Amprol, or some such product, though it could be something else which means my answer is worthless.

Amprolium is a product that limits the reproduction of the protazoa that causes Coccidiosis. It does not kill the protazoa, it just reduces its reproduction so the numbers don't build up enough to cause damage. It still allows enough to reproduce so the chick can build up immunity if the Coccidiosis protazoa is present. That is a bit of a simplistic answer because certain Coccidiosis protazoa can still cause problems, but Amprolium is usually enough.

If you keep the brooder fairly dry, Coccidiosis is usually not a problem anyway. I consider medicated feed a waste unless you have a Coccidiosis problem to start with, but it does not hurt to feed it to chickens.

If you look on the bag, it should tell you what can eat it. Usually game birds can eat chick feed but some game bird feed is a bit rich for chicks. I don't know if the Amprolium is dangerous to quail chicks or not. I personally think getting the unmedicated was a good move.

3. Tokajein

Mar 4, 2011
    Quote:oh okay.
    My brooder is relatively dry, so humidity shouldn't be a problem
    So i think I should be fine [​IMG]
    I am really excited, yet worried for my chicks.
    Since I don't want to lose any, or for any to get sick.

4. Tokajein

Mar 4, 2011
    Oh and the bag doesn't say what exactly is in the feed, since you have to scoop it out of buckets and put it in a plastic bag.

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Oh my. You HAVE to trust the oh-so-informed (NOT!) store employee! That's scary.

6. Tokajein

Mar 4, 2011
    Quote:Oh my. You HAVE to trust the oh-so-informed (NOT!) store employee! That's scary.

I know [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by