a quick question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gypsyfarm123, Sep 13, 2011.

1. gypsyfarm123

gypsyfarm123 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    south jersey
    (I hope this is the right place to post this, I'm sorry if its not:) I have my chicks in a 'make shift' coop atm. (Its a 8x8 dog pen that I put a corrigated roof on with one of them store bought (tractor supply) houses inside. In the one corner I have a perch with a 'chicken light' over the top of. My Chicks used to sleep on the perch under the light at night time (I let them out during the day btw) Anyway, I leave the light on all night but have noticed the birds stopped using the perch and now sleep on top of their chicken 'house' facing away from the light. I guess my question is..should I shut off the light? Do you think its bothering them? And why won't they use the house? Will they just instinctively go in the house when they are old enough to lay eggs?..ok, it was more than one question,sorry:)

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    You will have to put them in at dusk and close the door for a few nights for them to get the idea. And, you totally don't need, or even want, a light on them 24/7. Good Luck [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  3. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    If you want to continue using the light as a potential heat source for the upcoming winter, switch to an ultra red or ceramic bulb. That won't disrupt their sleep patterns. But they really should get used to sleeping inside where there own body heat can keep them warm and they're better protected from the elements.

On a side note, if you think they'll need the extra light during the evenings this winter to help with production, put the light on a timer that'll come on every morning and go off every night automatically at certain time frames.

Good luck!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  4. gypsyfarm123

gypsyfarm123 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    south jersey
    It is one of them red lights..and they don't need it for warmth..IDK,I guess I've just become so attached to them, I leave it on so I can peak out the window and make sure they are OK lol. But if its bothering them ill shut it off..You're gonna laugh, but I also have a radio out there playing all night (ya think that bothers them too?) I guess I better explain...when they were babies,I had them in the basement (in their brooder) I figured the radio would keep them company while I was at work..so when I put them outside I figured...Well,they'll miss their rock and roll.So I put it outside with them and just leave it on during the night time......~god,when did I become so soft?~

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by