a quiet chicken breed? are Pekin bantams quiet?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Neheigh, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Neheigh

Neheigh Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2012
    hi guys,
    I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if Pekin bantams are quiet? and maybe a little bit about them, i.e are they friendly, good layers ect. ive been reading a little about them on the web and they seem nice but you can never beat first hand experience.

2. armdchicken

armdchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2012
    Fairbanks, alaska
    Yeah they can be quiet...but each individual bird is different, some are quiet....some are loud...
    Yes pekins can be very friendly and docile. We have a few and they love being held and are quite docile...But it really depends on the individual bird....As long as you hold it a lot as a chick they will be quite tame....
    They aren't good layer though (about 90-95 eggs a year...and these eggs will be small...), they are more of an ornamental breed. (Hope this helps)

3. Neheigh

Neheigh Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2012
    thats wonderful thankyou, tbh its not really about the eggs i just want a small quiet breed that would be good in an urban garden and with children (children would always be supervised and teenagers) i really need mainly for them to be small and quiet as my neighbor is in her late 80's so i dont want them to be constantly noisey and we also have living a few doors down a complete nosey cow, who would complain about her own mother if she wasnt getting her own way (she complained that the children playing in the garden where laughing too loud!!! bearing in mind at the time it was my daughter 2 1/2 and her friend who is 3) so i imagen if they where loud i would have the police knocking on my door :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by