A Quiet Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickendot, Jan 20, 2008.

1. chickendot

chickendot Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2008
    Northern Nevada
    Can anyone recommend at breed that has a fairly docile rooster? We live in a community where we would like to have a rooster but not a real noisy one.... I don't suppose you can take the cockadoddle doo out?? ha ha

Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
  2. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    It kind of depends on the rooster, nothing else. As for nice roosters, it is recommended to have a heavy breed like orpingtons or wyandottes. Most likely, you wont be able to have a rooster if you live where noise could be a problem.

3. chickendot

chickendot Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2008
    Northern Nevada
    Thanks, we will look into those two breeds, out neighbors are pretty cool about the chickie doo's..as they get lots of eggs from us. Mostly wanted one that is docile. We have two Brahmas, two bards, two red, one buff and one black... don't have a clue what the black one is...but she is the noisy one... stands at the back door squawking for treats....

4. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    I have a splash orpington...never makes a peep! Love him, real nice birds.

5. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    I have a sweet Silver Laced Wyandotte roo, but he is very vocal. He's like a guard dog. He'll crow if car pulls up to the house and gives the girls an alert noise if anything walks in the yard.

6. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I think the bantams are much more quiet than the standards. I saw a silkie roo at the BigE show that sounded like he had larengitis (sp) because it was so quiet.

7. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Smitty's Farm :

I have a sweet Silver Laced Wyandotte roo, but he is very vocal. He's like a guard dog. He'll crow if car pulls up to the house and gives the girls an alert noise if anything walks in the yard.

[​IMG] I thought my roo was the only one that crowed when a car pulled up. My RIR are very vocal.​

8. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    I have a standard cochin, he's quite the big boy. Very docile ...almost timid and is very quiet. Beautiful boy !!

I find the noisiest of my bunch are the silkies. They seem to feel the need to announce their existence all day long.

My BLRW and my Blue Orp are fairly quiet. They crow daily but in comparison to the silkies anything is quiet...lol.

Julie [​IMG]

9. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    I've heard brahmas are relatively quiet. Any truth to it?

10. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Another suggestion would be to get them as day olds and handle them a lot. I'm not sure if that made a difference in ours being so docile or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by