A quiet rooster?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kickinchicken, Aug 19, 2010.

1. kickinchicken

kickinchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    I am relatively new to chickenhood. (started in April) I had started out with 8 suspected pullets, 2 were boys. Rehomed the Sultan, kept the SL Wyandotte. He was a WONDERFUL rooster [​IMG] . Until he crowed-we are under cover [​IMG] . Well, we tried putting him in a dog crate inside after everyone roosted for an hour (around 9pm) and put him back out at 0830. But he would ALWAYS peck everyone to reestablish his rank [​IMG] , I guess. Well, after rehoming him and his sister, another SLW, I am down to 2 chicks and 3 pullets (got the chicks a month ago at a swap) My little flock of 5 is roo-less and I miss having a handsome chap watching out for my girls. They don't venture out as far without him.
    Is there a rooster that has a low crow or an unusual crow that wouldn't be easily identified as a rooster? I am "illegal" and I don't want to ruffle any feathers with my neighbors. I have one in particular that is a little "off". I'd really like to have another rooster and I think I made a mistake rehome the Sultan roo. His crow sounded like a kazoo. I got scared and sent him off....would a Sultan roo be ideal as they don't cock-a-doodole-doo?

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but all breeds of roosters crow.

3. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Yep, all breeds crow and my Sultan had a very loud crow. My OEGBs are the shrillest. I somehow got lucky and have roosters (Silkie, D'Uccle, RIR and Japanese) that only crow in the mornings so they sleep in the garage at night and stay there till noon. Once I put them outside, not a peep till the next morning. Don't ask me how I did this, lol I don't know. They did try to crow once during the day and back in their crates they went. I think they learned. Now all I have to do is say "No" really loud and they close their beaks and about their business lol

4. kickinchicken

kickinchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Aw Man! I was hoping that there was a roo out there that wasn't so loud. I just REALLY miss Marshall, our SLW roo. He was so sweet and would do that sweet whistle song to me when he wanted to get out of the run to free range. If he wasn't such a SH** about pecking the girls every morning, he'd still be here. I guess I will have to wait to Rhode Island's economy recovers and I get back the equity in my home [​IMG] so that I can move to an agriculturally zoned town [​IMG] .
    Honestly, if I burned down the house tomorrow, I'd still owe $100K after the insurance pay off [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by