1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A Quilt for my Brother - Pattern Ideas?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by greenfamilyfarms, Aug 22, 2011.

1. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    About 4 years ago, I made a butterfly cross stitched motif quilt with applique for my sister and gave it to her on my wedding day. I've been meaning to make my brother one, also. He'll be graduating from HS next year, so I want to go ahead and get started on it so I'll have plenty of time to play with it and get it like I want it to be. Here's my idea: I thought of collecting up some of my Daddy's and Grandpa's old flannel and denim shirts (maybe jeans?) to make a 3-generation "Donald" quilt since they all have the same name. Now, the dilemma I'm having it deciding on a pattern that will work well with this idea. Does anybody have any suggestions?

2. country lady

country lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    NW Tennessee
    Have you googled or tried your local library? There is a book in my local library about quilts for men. I would think your bro would be happy when he realizes how unique your quilt will be with the three Donalds. You could also get some ideas from a local fabric store. Our local store has classes all the time and quilters of all experience levels. I've found that quilters love to share. [​IMG]

3. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    Oooo! I love that idea. Just thinking of my husbands flannel and denim shirts, depending on the color, maybe you could make an American Flag kind of a quilt? Make sure you post pictures when you get it done!

4. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    I think one of those frayed edge quilts would be nice for a guy. You could do different quilting in the squares to give it extra interest.

5. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Fantastic idea!!!! Oh that is so sweet of you to make a quilt for your sister and now one for your brother. I cherish the few I have that my grandmother made and my daughter has a teddy bear made out of an old quilt that hubby's grandmother made. I hope to learn how to make a quilt before I leave this earth. I love the denim/3 generation flannel idea. Makes it more sentimental & special. You are a wonderful sister. Can't wait to see what pattern you pick. [​IMG]

6. Czech's_chicks

Czech's_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Vista, CA
    Many years ago, I belonged to a group that used to do constant block swaps....there was an online site that had either a picture of a drawing of just about every single pattern you can imagine. You could narrow the search by block size, season, etc. I sure wish I could remember what it was called - I used that thing religiously. Haven't quilted in years, now, so I have had to replace all that info with other stuff, I guess.

7. dmccann

dmccann Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    How about the classic hole in the barn door!

8. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
  9. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm actually working on a denim quilt for my cousin right now. He just started Junior High [​IMG] So far my plan is very rough. I'm thinking of doing just an old fashioned patchwork style. No set shapes. But I want to fray it all, too. Good luck with yours!

10. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    I did one for my son's first apartment . I took strips of three fabrics, sewed them together then cut that into blocks. Then you alternate vertical and horizontal. Looks neat and it's pretty quick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by