A Quilt

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by jeremy, Sep 17, 2010.

1. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Something to keep me warm for the up coming cold months. [​IMG] I have the fondest memories of huge quilts at my grandparents house, bundled up underneath them with a cup of hot chocolate on a freezing Winter's day. Well, those days have come and gone and my grandparents are unfortunately no longer with us (or I might just ask my grandma to make me one! [​IMG]) but I still love and miss that feeling.

I'd love a simple patchwork quilt, in varying colors/shades/etc. It doesn't have to be anything spectacular or fancy, plain squares would be fantastic. I'm sure I could easily find somthing to suit my needs online, but they tend to price gouge things like this almost anywhere you go and I want something that was made by a a person, not a machine!

I'll to pay for the labor, shipping and handling. (Obviously) I also don't mind supporting someone who takes the time to craft something by hand rather than going to a big box retailer, so if I have to pay little more for quality work that is fine by me.

Is there anybody out there that sews and could help me with my request?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

What size, Jeremy? Lap or bed quilt?

3. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Preferably a bed quilt. It doesn't have to be huge though, something around "full size" would work.
    I won't ask you to sew me a California King sized one Cyn, [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

Well, I piece by machine and quilt the finished top by hand. Can't piece and quilt both by hand anymore due to my carpal tunnel, so you may not want my work. It would take a couple of months at least to finish, though. I mostly have been doing lap quilts and table runners of late, so I may not be the best one to do a full size bed quilt for you. Anyway, here are some of my projects I've done. Tell me which ones you like best as far as style and colors. I just added some of the latest projects to the thread. I'm already involved in two different projects, so it may be a slow start-when were you wanting it finished, J?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=226939

5. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Quote:Cynthia, the quilts shown after the link are stunning! You have an amazing skill, I would love to have a piece of your work. I guess I should have been more clear when I said I didn't want something done by a machine, what I really meant was something that didn't come off a conveyor belt along with hundreds of others that look just like it. Ya know?

I really like this one,
    [​IMG]

I like the use of squares, placed at different angles and in different positions and such. I also really like how there's a overall color theme but with different hues and patterns.

As far as a time frame goes, I'm not going to be picky and name a date. I'll be happy with the finished product whenever it's ready, something special like this I feel like shouldn't be rushed. When it's done, it'll be done. [​IMG] If you do need some sort of date then let's just say before the end of the year?

6. speckledhen

That one was a queen, pieced by hand before my carpal tunnel was a factor-called it my Deep Purple Dream quilt after the 60's song. Designed it as I went along so I didn't know how it would turn out until it was finished, my usual style, LOL. Do you like the style or the colors or both? Do you want the mood to be spring or fall or winter? Tones of one color like that purple/pink/gray one or other coordinating colors? You mentioned a simpler style than this one, but would you prefer a quilt with lots of "stuff" going on, a busy quilt? Of course, the more complicated, the more time it takes.

Also, there is coverlet size, which drops just over the edge of the mattress, or blanket size, which goes to the bottom of the box spring. So, a full coverlet would measure about 78" wide by 97" long in order to cover the pillow like that purple one does.

I could probably get it done by the end of the year. Piecing, after I decide on the pattern and have the fabric, may take two weeks. Quilting will take two months, I'm betting.

Here is an example of a very busy medallion quilt--that one isn't very restful, is it, LOL? Perhaps larger borders with fewer small pieces would look more calming.

From this site: http://bloominworkshop.wordpress.com/medallion-quilt-along/

[​IMG]

Below was a medallion type wallhanging that I made with the center exactly like one of the quilts I posted. Note the different borders. That one could be made with different colors and look completely different.

[​IMG]

Just need to be sure how large and how complicated it will be so I can price it for you.

7. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Quote:Cyn, wow I never knew so much went into making a quilt!

Well I like the size of that quilt, so either a queen or a full size is what I'm looking for. I like the idea of you creating the quilt piece by piece, with no real pattern in mind, I like the creativity behind that style. As far as style/theme/colors. I like the overall appearance of the purple quilt, very blocking using mostly square shapes. I also like how it has a wide border around the edges. I would want that to be included in the design of mine.

I would prefer something more simple, not like that crazy quilt with all the tiny pieces! That would take me a lifetime to finish! [​IMG] Plus I would probably give myself a headache staring at it all day. I like the idea of a winter's theme, something utilizing cooler colors. Different shades of blues, darker purples, and grays? I have a metal image coordinating these colors in different hues in my head, wish I could pop that image out and give it to you. My favorite color though is yellow, I don't know if you could somehow factor that in there.

Size wise I like the coverlet size, something just over the sides of the mattress, however it doesn't necessarily have to cover the pillows. If it were just to rest on top of the bed up to where you place pillows that would be fine too.

Did I cover everything? [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

Hmm, if you like yellow, could be a buttery gold could come in somewhere. If you see something with colors you like, shoot an email or PM to me. If you want just coverlet size, without the pillow tuck, that wouldn't be as difficult. I think I have an idea about the center already, perhaps this Carpenters Wheel/Star as a center to radiate out from-it's a 24" block that could be straight on or turned on point for the center and in the colors you want. If you don't like that, will keep thinking.
    The following are located on the Quilters Cache website.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    I like that wheel/star!
    & I think a rich gold or buttery yellow would look really nice along size some dark purples and blues.
    Nothing metallic-y gold though, [​IMG]

10. speckledhen

Oh, no metallic stuff! I like rich, buttery golds. No tacky stuff, I promise! The fact that you don't want it too soon is why I can take on this project. I turn down projects that I don't feel qualified to do or that are too large or have a strict timetable, but I do like to keep my mind and hands occupied.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by