A Rabbit Cage Question

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by CYGChickies, Oct 9, 2011.

1. CYGChickies

CYGChickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Ok I am building some "stacking" cages for my rabbits. We are moving them to two unused stalls in the barn that are 11'x11' to get them out of the weather. I want the cages to be longer(left to right) and can be tall (top to bottom) but I don't want them so "deep" (front to back) that we can't get to the Dwarf Hotots. I am building for my Dwarf Hotots and different cages for my Lionheads so I would so greatly appreciate separate suggestions for each breed. I will only be mounting/stacking the cages 2 high because I don't want to put any cages too low to the ground or so high we need a ladder. Also I want to make all big enough to include a nestbox that is 11'x13'x10' just so I won't have to move them all if a doe needs a nest box.

What do you suggest for the Lionhead cages and what do you suggest for the Dwarf Hotot cages?

Yes our rabbits get to go outside in a big exercise pen we have, in case any of you ask.

CYG

2. Slkymom1-4

Slkymom1-4 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2011
    Hello CYG, We used to breed and exhibit Netherland Dwarfs and we made our own hutches also. As far as size goes I really don't know how big Dwarf Hotots and Lionheads are. The most important size as far as I'm concerned for your hutches is don't make them any deeper than 24 inches. I had the same difficulty in reaching the rabbits in a cage that was 30 inches or more deep. You could probably make the width from left to right 24 inches for a single rabbit to 30 inches for a breeding doe. Maybe even push it to 36 inches, but watch out for those far corners as they may be too far to reach. You could make them wider with two doors instead of just one in the middle. Now the height of your hutches is mostly a matter of taste. Just make them tall enough so that your doe can sit on the top of it if she wants.

I hope this will give you some ideas for your hutches. Since your rabbits go outside to play and exercise you probably don't have to make your hutches really big. Virginia [​IMG]

3. CYGChickies

Jun 13, 2011
    Thank you for a quick reply! Dwarf Hotots are only very slightly bigger than a Netherland Dwarf. Your dimensions match what I was thinking for our Hotots. Thanks so much! Now I'll wait for a suggestion on the Lionheads.

Thanks again!

CYG

4. Slkymom1-4

Feb 4, 2011
    What size are Lionheads? The only ones I've see where small. Virginia:)

5. CYGChickies

Jun 13, 2011
    I would say they're medium size, mine are all fairly small. They are a but smaller than most Dutch and mini Rex rabbits. Mini Rex are supposed to range up to 4 1/2 pounds and Lionheads stay under/at four pounds like the Holland Lop. All of ours are small I'm not sure about their length but they're closer to our Dwarf Hotots than our New Zealand. Since I only own NZ and DH to compare to my Lionheads I'm just using general online info to compare them to some popular breeds. Hope that helps.

CYG

6. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    I would say use 24"x24".
    I use 30"x 30" and 30"x36" but i have large breeds and long arms. There are some of my large breeds I do keep in 24"x24" because they are harder to grab and they seem to prefer the smaller cages anyway.

7. Slkymom1-4

Feb 4, 2011
    Hi CYG, I would go ahead and use the same size hutches that you use for your Hotots. You can always extend the width more but if you have short armes stay with the 24 inch depth. Good Luck, Virginia [​IMG]

8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

This is one of two like this that we built. I will tell you what NOT to do: Do not make a box area that you cannot get access to without turning the hose on the rabbits to get them to move. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Box area is above the small wire window and halfway between the first and second floor. Design flaw - make yourself a door.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  9. CYGChickies

Jun 13, 2011
    Haha Debi! Ok everyone we're thinking 30"x20"x20". We have a separate HUGE hutch for weened kits (a growout pen) so I think it should do even for the does with kits. If we build one and it's too small we'll expand but that seems to be a good size for teeny rabbits.

Thanks so much guys!

CYG

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by