A raccoon story - caught our first critter!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Sjisty, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Well, now we have raccoon(s). We lost 9 chickens in 8 days, 5 just Saturday and Sunday! I have a trapper friend who just came out this morning and found raccoon poop and tracks along with pieces of my missing chickens! Soooo, now we are set with traps everywhere. I'm filling my big drum with water and am going to give them swimming lessons if we catch them.

I'm so sorry babies - I didn't keep you safe. I loved you all.

My beautiful Wendy, light Brahma hen
    [​IMG]

Puddles, dark Brahma roo. Buckie the copper Maran safe but lonely.
    [​IMG]

Snowflake and Dusky, buff/light Brahma cross and dark Brahma. Other dark Brahma and buff brahma safe.
    [​IMG]

Elphaba, buff Brahma hen
    [​IMG]

Buffy, buff orpington hen

Three young dark brahmas, not named yet.

Chuckie, light Brahma roo - now injured, not sure if he will live.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  2. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Beautiful chickens; so sorry for your loss. When you trap those coons, laugh hysterically as you drown them. I lost three in July to coons, reinforced the pen and have had no repeats. I have my fingers crossed for your rooster; hope he makes it.

3. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    So sorry for your loss. Coons are persistant. I even had one get in the closed and locked coop. He pushed the door in at the bottom the latch was 3/4 of the way up the door. Never thought one could get in that small of a space. I put another latch on all of my doors. Top and bottom. Hope your roo makes it.

4. Sjisty

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Chuckie just died. Now it's war!

5. Bizzybirdy

Bizzybirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    North of Nashville
    >>Chuckie just died. Now it's war!<<

Awwwwwww....am so sorry! He was beautiful as were your hens. I hope you get the culprits. I HATE RACOONS!! Had enough misery with them here, all has been quiet the last few months since I shot the last one that killed my cat. [​IMG]

Hope you get him/them soon!!

6. TinyBirds

TinyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Texas
    They were so beautiful! I'm so sorry for your loss. Did the racoon come in the daytime or did it get them in the night? We free-range too so I'm just worried now for our birds too. We don't have anything racoon-proof (they are free-ranging day and night) but so far we've just been lucky.

7. Sjisty

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    He (or they) came in the afternoon/early evening between 4:30 and 7:00. We free range our chickens during the day but lock them up tight at 7:00. Our chicken-bonding time is around 4:30 and they would all be there waiting for treats. We would sit with them a while and then go in for supper. Then when we come out there is one or two gone. Darn thing took 5 Saturday and Sunday, so I think it is probably a family. The traps didn't work yet - empty this morning.

8. hollyk

hollyk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    Canton, Texas
    Man, I had no idea how vicious coons could be! I shall kick the security up a few steps!
    I am so sorry for your loss. I lost a dozen hens this summer- not to coons, mine were home grown terrorists. It really does hurt.[​IMG]

9. Sjisty

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Babies are safe now. It's a darn shame I didn't learn before I lost half of them. I feel so guilty for sending them out to die! It won't happen again.

Raccoon traps are still empty - will change bait. I'm not going to give up until I'm sure they are gone.

[​IMG]

10. Bizzybirdy

Bizzybirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    North of Nashville
    Very nice pen...hope you didn't use chicken wire as a racoon can bite right through that.

Wouldn't want to see you lose any more beatiful chickies. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by