A Rare Rooster Phenomenon...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Year of the Rooster, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    A rooster that doesn't crow [​IMG]

Out of the 3 Sebrights I have, only ONE doesn't crow. I am shocked. Everytime I am out there - whether its 10 minutes or an hour - I never hear him crow [​IMG] I swear! Each of my Sebrights has a distinct crow and I can very well tell them apart. I know he CAN crow as he used to do it during the winter. But now... zip nada zilch.. He still tries to mate with the hens and give warnings but Crowing? Noooooo........

So here's a question for all you chicken psychology experts: If I were to remove the other two roosters that crow (A LOT!!!) would that change the "non-crower"? As in make him crow again? I am debating as to which one to keep: A loud one with good markings or the quiet one with not-so-good markings?

(Mods if you feel this is in the wrong section please move it.)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  2. mom2chicksandpups

mom2chicksandpups Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Southeast Alabama
    I don't know the answer, but I just had to comment that I only wish we could find one that didn't crow! Because we live in town, we have limited ourselves to one rooster to keep the neighbors from complaining about the crowing. [​IMG]

3. Year of the Rooster

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    I hope he stays this way. If not them I am gunna hate myself for not choosing the better looking rooster [​IMG]

4. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    I had five roos, four of which crowed like billyo... the smallest Roo who was always being picked on never crowed...... I removed him and put him in a rabbit hutch and run..........within 48 hours he was crowing his little head off..........

5. Year of the Rooster

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:[​IMG] Well, I know this guy is second in command as far as the Sebrights go... so hopefully things will change...

6. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    Probably just hasn't had anything to "CROW" about!?!?!! [​IMG]

7. addiedunn

addiedunn Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    He may have lost his second-in-command status somehow. We had two roosters and the least one was always in the coop, rarely even came in the run and almost never came on out in the yard (they all free-range). We never heard so much as a peep out of him and we decided to re-home him to a guy who had two hens and needed a rooster. The guy took him home and on the way they stopped at a drive through for a sandwich. He said the woman was handing the food through the window to him and little Louie crowed a full long crow like he'd been doing it forever. he almost dropped drinks and all, all over himself and his wife. I couldn't believe the story when I heard it! lol

8. Year of the Rooster

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:[​IMG] Of the three, the one with the best markings is the dominant one. The "quiet" one used to be dominant but got knocked down, which makes him second, and then the other one is third. I've seen them challenge each other and when the Well-marked one and the Quiet one face off, the Quiet one backs down. The third one will back down from either of the two. Mr. Quiet just seems to keep to himself? [​IMG] He seems to stay out of ALL of the roosters' way. Even the Silkies. The Silkies rule the whole coop. I hope things stay this way when the other two leave [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by