A Really Odd Question...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Tylt33, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Tylt33

Tylt33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Chico, California
    I'm not even sure this is the right forum, but here we go:

My fiance and I are going to have our engagement photos tomorrow, and would like to bring a few of our chicks with us. This will amount to ~6 hours of them being out of the brooder. Temperatures will be 90+. The chicks will be one week old tomorrow. Can they make it for ~6 hours without a heatlamp? We're planning on loading a cat carrier with some sort of feeder/waterer and paper towel and pine shaving bedding. What do you think? Too much stress?

I know, it seems really strange. My fiance's aunt and uncle have these AWESOME (ridiculous) engagement photos from the 70's of them with their cats, and we thought we'd take it one step farther. Input is appreciated! [​IMG]

2. ekemily

ekemily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Fairhope, AL
    what the.... [​IMG]

3. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    They'll be fine [​IMG] That'll be cute [​IMG]

4. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Sounds cute! [​IMG] I would maybe use a juicy kind of fruit like plum, peach, apple instead of a waterer. It will make a lot less mess. Then just scatter their scratch in there with them.

You'll have to post some pics!

Shelly

5. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd think they'd be fine, and you'll be keeping an eye on them so if they start getting too stressed you can tuck them back into the carrier. If it's as hot where you are as it is here, no heat lamp required!

Oh, and you'll be posting the pics here right? [​IMG]

6. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    I'd make sure thay are not too cool nor too warm. You'll know by looking and seeing if they are all huddled together (too cool) or all layed out and panting heavy (too warm). Good luck and I think you have a GREAT idea to include them. Post a photo here when you are done, I'd like to see how you set the picture. [​IMG]

7. girlychick

girlychick Chillin' With My Peeps

They should be fine! It's summer and hot. Ares were only on the heat lamp for about 3 or 4 days and they are fine now.

8. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    Go for it. As long as you are monitoring their condition and making sure they are okay, do it. It's a cute idea.

9. Tylt33

Tylt33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Chico, California
    Thank you for the input! I just checked the weather- we're looking at high 80's tomorrow when the pictures are being taken. And a juicy piece of fruit does sound a lot better than a waterer!

This should be really interesting, and it'll make for a good story many years later. I think we're going to take three chicks with us; a buff orpington, a dark brahma, and a silver laced wyandotte (our three favorite chicks). I'll be sure to post pics once we get them, lol!

10. DebsChicks

DebsChicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2010
    North Carolina
    Oh my, can't wait to see the pics. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by