a REALLY tough decision ;(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickNjake, Sep 22, 2008.

1. chickNjake

chickNjake Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2008
    east tn
    okay, about a year ago I bought a FANTASTIC, but old bantam, rare, birchen Cochin pair from a show. The rooster used to be a big show winner, but he's too old to show [​IMG] . NOW here comes the hard part... the rooster has caught some disease or something that doesn't go away (vet told us and i can never remember) BUT! it doesn't transmit through the eggs. the hen is still laying but is probably going to stop within the next year. i don't ever get rid of a hen when she stops laying, but i was thinking i could put her with the sick rooster and get the pure bred eggs and get real good show quality birchen Cochin babies. [​IMG] but then the hen will get sick and i'll have to "cull" her [​IMG] and I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!!!!! please help [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. cyanne

cyanne Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I'm pretty sure that I've read somewhere on here that it is possible to breed chickens by artificial insemination. Maybe one of the more experienced chicken folks will chime in with instructions on how to do this and you can 'collect' the stuff you need to breed them without endangering your hen.

3. greenthumb89

greenthumb89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    pulaski wisconsin
    you can AI chickens and it is used very often with cochins because of the feathering problems, i read about it once but dont remember how to do it but i think it was pretty straightforward if i remember right

4. chickNjake

chickNjake Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2008
    east tn
    well first of, thank you that is a great idea!!!! in fact the PERFECT idea!! BUT... unfortunately IT DIED [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] i went out with a test tube and a syringe and he was dead [​IMG] poor thing, at least he's outta his misery [​IMG] thank you for all you're help! sick for months and he dies now [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by