A really weird question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Brittanyluvsherduck, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Brittanyluvsherduck

Brittanyluvsherduck Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2011
    So, my duck started laying eggs a couple days ago, she has laid three so far and is not even a year old yet.. is this normal? Also, when i pet her back she pushes her butt way up and like leaks this wierd clear stuff out.. looks like egg whites, is this normall to or should I take her to get looked at??

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Congratulations, your little ducky is growing up!

It's normal. The eggs, the up button, the vent discharge. She is in the early part of sexual maturity.

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Congrats [​IMG]

4. Brittanyluvsherduck

Jul 17, 2011
    Ok, thank goodness I was really starting to worry. [​IMG]

5. BallardDuck

BallardDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Ballard in Seattle
    Now that's a little nugget of information that's good to know!
    In all my reading on here, or the various books, have I come across anything about discharge!
    I can just imagine how freaked out I would have been!
    Thanks!

6. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Blue was the only one that was happy for me to pet her. Many times she'd lay herself flat while standing and drip. DH would always laugh and tell me I was getting the duck off [​IMG] [​IMG]

But yeah, all that is normal

7. Brittanyluvsherduck

Jul 17, 2011
    yeah, she lays flat when i pet her.. she also does two other wierd things she like will "plank" or lay flat and stick her neck out all the way whenever i walk like right up to her.. not all the time but sometimes. and also whenever i chirp at her she bobs her head to the side like she is doing the disco

8. DejaLou

DejaLou Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2012
    Oh thank god! My duck was doing the exact same thing. I have been stalking the internet, worried about my female india runner. Everything I could find said vent gleet, prolapse, egg binding . . . None of it seemed quite right. She has been healthy and happy, just . . . leaking. Not the awful smelly stuff discribed (waaarf!) in the hen/chicken forums, and nothing resembling a shellless or broken inside of her egg, but instead an odorless, and clear.

She is 22 weeks old, and has yet to lay her first egg, so there is still plenty of time for me to panic and think things are wrong, but at least some discharge is normal. This is my first time raising duck friends, and I have got to say, they are a lot more fun than chickens! haha

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Now you can breathe, and [​IMG]

10. DejaLou

DejaLou Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2012
    Thanks Miss Lydia! Wonderful news, someone (I think it was Amazing Larry) laid her very first egg this morning!!! This community is great, so much info, experience to draw on. Yay!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by