A Reminder to clean your Fan

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chuckzoo, Aug 12, 2010.

1. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    I have been running 3 fans, two at opposite ends of my run and one in the gable of my coop. This morning I pulled them all out and cleaned them and believe me they were pretty dusty.

Most of the fans sold these days can come apart for cleaning so I just put the covers in the tub and washed them down with a brush and shower wand. I wiped the blands and got all visible dust off and re-assembled them. They look good.

Take the time to clean them and you will have the peace of mind you are not running a fire hazard in your run or coop.

Taking the time to keep your flock safe - priceless!

2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Thanks for the reminder! Good advice.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Yes, I need to take the one in my adult coop down tonight and clean it. It's a hassle since we have it zip-tied tightly to one of the windows, but it must be done.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Good reminder...thanks!

5. BonnieJean

BonnieJean Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2010
    Connecticut
    Just looked at mine- it's pretty dirty! Thanks for the reminder. I'll clean it tonight!!

6. chuckzoo

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Quote:Just cut the zip-ties and use new ones, that way you will have confidence that it will stay in place since zip-ties can become brittle over time.

7. pattgal

pattgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    I would have never guessed a fan could cause a fire. you learn something new every day

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

These box fans we use do not have sealed motors and are not made to deal with the dust a chicken coop generates. I have some, but in each coop, we installed smoke detectors and there are also baby monitors. Blow out those motors once a week at least, folks, or get the type fans made for stables--much more expensive but made to handle the dust.

9. chuckzoo

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Quote:I need to add a smoke detector - thanks for the tip.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by