A rescue mystery

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by warmheart, Mar 20, 2013.

1. warmheart

warmheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2012
    Norton, MA
    Pardon the terribly blurry quick cell phone pic. I will get better ones as soon as someone can assist me. Anyway, I cannot guess her breed. She was given to me as a "Belgian Bantam." I absolutely ***love*** her![​IMG] I'm curious, as she seems too big to be a bantam, (she's nearly Easter Egger-sized, almost) and the D'anvers has a rose comb with dark legs, and she has a straight comb and pink legs. She is ADORABLE! She does make an odd sound, though: "Brrrt, Brrrrt." Maybe she's a D'anvers mix?

Her feathers somehow have BOTH quail and mille fleur.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Amazingly, she's totally happy being picked up, hand-fed, etc. Ideas on breed or mix?

2. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    I LOVE her!!! she is so so cute!

1 person likes this.
  3. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Does she have feathers on her legs? She may be a faverolles cross.

4. warmheart

Sep 30, 2012
    Norton, MA
    She has clean legs, but you're right, her poofy neck and muffs do look kind of Faverolles-ish. She's a mystery!

GoldenSparrow, thank you! :)

5. mohawkbrian

mohawkbrian Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2012
    she is belgian danvers i think

6. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    That's what I would have said if her comb wasn't straight. It's possible she's a hatchery quality one, and the hatchery is being messy with the genetics.

7. warmheart

Sep 30, 2012
    Norton, MA
    Belgian D'anvers! The man who gave her to us said she was a Belgian Bantam. She does look bantam in the face and eye, but I thought D'anvers were as small as a person's hand? (I'm new, so, I'm not sure) Can a hatchery quality D'anvers bit a bit bigger? With pink legs instead of slate-colored? She really is astoundingly sweet and easy to handle. (not sure if that's because she's unwell yet or typical of D'anvers?)

8. mohawkbrian

mohawkbrian Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2012
    Thesebirds are friendly. One breed recomended for kids. She could be impure as she looks about like a booted bantam without feathered legs but definately has some belgian in her

9. warmheart

Sep 30, 2012
    Norton, MA
    My gosh but I'm so surprised at how very friendly-- and sweet! No wonder people adore these Belgians! I am in love.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by